The Student Room Group

Failed one of my modules, concerned about others.

I should preface this by saying that I haven't failed a module in uni before, on account of trying to put as much as I possibly could into passing in my first year of uni.

I'm a Graphic Design student, and just yesterday one of my lecturers told me I didn't pass one of the modules in the first semester, and that they'd offer me a resit project for it. While I will admit I didn't do my best (I didn't do enough documentation in my process book/forgot to put certain images in my PDFs) I'm still somewhat majorly worried about the rest of my course, knowing the worry that failing one or more of the modules might affect my final grade in 2nd year.

Should I be majorly concerned, will it affect anything down the line?
Original post by Anonymous
I should preface this by saying that I haven't failed a module in uni before, on account of trying to put as much as I possibly could into passing in my first year of uni.

I'm a Graphic Design student, and just yesterday one of my lecturers told me I didn't pass one of the modules in the first semester, and that they'd offer me a resit project for it. While I will admit I didn't do my best (I didn't do enough documentation in my process book/forgot to put certain images in my PDFs) I'm still somewhat majorly worried about the rest of my course, knowing the worry that failing one or more of the modules might affect my final grade in 2nd year.

Often if you fail a module and then resit/retake, your mark will be capped at a pass (40%). That will therefore impact your average mark for this year (although perhaps not significantly).

It's also worth checking your course handbook or academic regulations to see exactly how they calculate the mark for the year (and for your overall degree classification). Many universities allow you to discard the lowest mark, in which case this resit will have precisely zero impact.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey!

I understand that receiving news of not passing a module can be a stressful experience, and I appreciate you reaching out to express your concerns. First and foremost, it's crucial to acknowledge that setbacks can happen to anyone, and they don't define your overall academic journey.

In your situation, being offered a resit project is a positive step, as it provides you with an opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of the module's content. It's great that you recognize areas for improvement, such as the documentation in your process book and the inclusion of necessary images in your PDFs. Utilize this resit as a chance to address these aspects and showcase your skills more comprehensively.

In terms of the impact on your overall course, it's essential to approach this as a learning experience. While failing a module is undoubtedly a setback, it doesn't necessarily dictate your performance in the rest of your course or your final grade in the second year. Consider it a valuable lesson to enhance your time management, organization, and documentation skills moving forward.

If you're feeling overwhelmed or uncertain about how to proceed, I recommend reaching out to your academic advisor or a member of the faculty for guidance. They can provide valuable insights specific to your program and help you navigate the resit process effectively. Additionally, consider seeking support from the university's academic resources, such as study skills workshops or tutoring services, to strengthen your overall academic approach. Remember, you have the capacity to learn and grow from this experience. Many successful individuals have faced challenges during their academic journeys, and resilience plays a crucial role in overcoming such obstacles.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending