The Student Room Group

Two Ab Initio Languages

I've got a place at Sheffield doing a BA in Modern Languages, which involves doing three languages, which is why I chose it. However, I only did French at A level so I'll have to do two languages from scratch (Spanish and German). I've already started a bit this summer, but I was wondering how labour intensive ab initio courses are and if I could do two at a time while improving a third?
Or am I fou?
Original post by Mamph99
I've got a place at Sheffield doing a BA in Modern Languages, which involves doing three languages, which is why I chose it. However, I only did French at A level so I'll have to do two languages from scratch (Spanish and German). I've already started a bit this summer, but I was wondering how labour intensive ab initio courses are and if I could do two at a time while improving a third?
Or am I fou?

You are expected to get to A level standard within a year, so obviously it will be very intensive.

Personally, I think doing more than one ab initio language will be too difficult (and it's worth noting that only a very few universities allow you to do this for that very reason). If you really want to do Spanish and German then try for a month or so and see how it goes, but I think you should be prepared to drop one if it becomes apparent that it's too much work.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
You are expected to get to A level standard within a year, so obviously it will be very intensive.

Personally, I think doing more than one ab initio language will be too difficult (and it's worth noting that only a very few universities allow you to do this for that very reason). If you really want to do Spanish and German then try for a month or so and see how it goes, but I think you should be prepared to drop one if it becomes apparent that it's too much work.

Cheers for the advice. I'll see how it goes then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending