The Student Room Group

English Literature

How to understand GCSE English Literature and improve for example with the explaining part
Reply 1
Always link to context
For GCSE Literature, you need to look at a quote and ask yourself three questions-" what is the feature"- features such as verbs, adjectives, simile, metaphor etc. Next, - "what is the quote trying to tell me?"- for this, your analysis needs to go quite deep to achieve higher grades. Your question might be to explain a character or the atmosphere- this depends- and you use the qu=oute to support your answer. Finally, you weave in context- "what does the context in which the book/poem/ piece was written tell me about the quote?"- your teacher will probably help you with the history.

Here is an example- "The author uses a metaphor, (use a relevant quote here), to suggest the inner turmoil the character faces, hinting at their philosophical nature which will eventually lead to their downfall. This links to the play's philosophical nature which was typical of the author's style in the 16th century.

Don't quote me on this- just my way. Plus, I completely made the example up- I was not referencing.
Hope it helps and have a nice life!

Quick Reply

Latest