Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was really hoping to attend Oxbridge (mostly due to my father) to do law, but my GCSE results were disappointing, to say the least, and I was wondering if this means that I have absoluitely ZERO chance of getting in? I am doing A - levels in Chemistry, History and English literature. These were my results:
    Mathematics -B
    Mathematics, numeracy - A
    English language - A*
    English literature - A
    Welsh - B
    Welsh literature - C
    Geography - C
    History - B
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - C
    Biology - C
    Welsh Baccalaureate - A

(I am hoping to achieve AAA in my A - levels)

How slim, exactly, do you believe my chances are?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluecrazer)
    I was really hoping to attend Oxbridge (mostly due to my father) to do law, but my GCSE results were disappointing, to say the least, and I was wondering if this means that I have absoluitely ZERO chance of getting in? I am doing A - levels in Chemistry, History and English literature. These were my results:
    Mathematics -B
    English language - A*
    English literature - A
    Welsh - B
    Welsh literature - C
    Geography - C
    History - B
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - C
    Biology - C
    Welsh Baccalaureate - A

Slim

ReputationRep:
    This is honestly the most raw "are my GCSEs good enough for medicine" thread

You need to do biology a level and why do medicine which is soooo science based when you did average on it for GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics -B
    English language - A*
    English literature - A
    Welsh - B
    Welsh literature - C
    Geography - C
    History - B
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - C
    Biology - C
    Welsh Baccalaureate - A

Your problem is that Oxford would view those GCSE's unfavorably, but your A level predictions are too low for Cambridge - their standard law offer is A*AA and the majority of offer holders end up achieving higher than that. Unless you can get better A level predictions, your chances are fairly low I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    This is honestly the most raw "are my GCSEs good enough for medicine" thread

You need to do biology a level and why do medicine which is soooo science based when you did average on it for GCSEs
    Would you like to re-read my initial post and realise that you misread? As I want to do LAW, not medicine (god no, my father is a consultant psychiatrist and I know first-hand how horrible any job in medicine can be).

ReputationRep:
    Would you like to re-read my initial post and realise that you misread as I want to do LAW, not medicine (god no, my father is a consultant psychiatrist and I know first-hand how horrible that job can be).
    Omggggggggg I thought I saw medicine!! All these threads that I'm used to seeing have made me like this! Blame them!

You have a chance in getting into law. My cousin did law and he mostly got c's for GCSEs but did get AAB for his a levels
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    Omggggggggg I thought I saw medicine!! All these threads that I'm used to seeing have made me like this! Blame them!

You have a chance in getting into law. My cousin did law and he mostly got c's for GCSEs but did get AAB for his a levels
    Who's that sexy lady in your avatar btw?

ReputationRep:
    You have a shot at Cambridge if you work hard (not sure about oxford).
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I was really hoping to attend Oxbridge (mostly due to my father)
    I stopped at that point. That's not a good reason...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)
    You have a shot at Cambridge if you work hard (not sure about oxford).
    Cambridge requires A*AA for Law. A prediction below that is unlikely to be successful, especially if the GCSEs are also "below average".
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I knew a guy who had the same reason. Wanted to go to Oxford because his mum did😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    I have no idea

ReputationRep:
    You could focus on smashing a levels then applying post a level to cambridge (need A*AA minimum, you seem motivated enough)

Chill bro

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge requires A*AA for Law. A prediction below that is unlikely to be successful, especially if the GCSEs are also "below average".
    Oh I was referring to his GCSEs.

If he does really well this year I'm sure he can get decent predictions, as well as getting a decent score in the entry test, a decent personal statement etc.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadHoncho)
    You could focus on smashing a levels then applying post a level to cambridge (need A*AA minimum, you seem motivated enough)

Chill bro
    Why, it's just a question😂

ReputationRep:
    Same, that line got me thinking that if all these 'Are my GCSEs good enough for Oxbridge' threads that people post just want to go to Oxbridge to please their mum and dad. Except for law I wouldn't go to Oxbridge mainly because the work you have to do at Oxbridge is SO MUCH than a normal university hence why their entry requirements are high.

ReputationRep:
    Why, it's just a question😂
    Yeah i know, i wanna know the answer too 😂😂
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadHoncho)
    Yeah i know, i wanna know the answer too 😂😂
    Great minds think alike. Or shall I say great you know what:sexface:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)
    Oh I was referring to his GCSEs.

If he does really well this year I'm sure he can get decent predictions, as well as getting a decent score in the entry test, a decent personal statement etc.
    Yup, that would all help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.