The Student Room Group

Studying techniques for massive amounts

How do you guys study for extremely large amounts of textbook material? I have 7 exams coming up in 5 months, I'd like to know if there are any extra tips I should know about to get me 7 out of 7 A*. Thanks a lot :smile:
I used the specification on the exam boards website as a 'tick list'. I used the textbook and made bullet points summarising all the relevant information but making sure I included all relevant points that I could be tested on, drew diagrams, highlighted key words and made it look visually appealing (but only if I had time).
Then, I read through it (and made sure I understood it!) and then didsome practise questions from a book to test my understanding. Once I had finished writing notes for one topic, I would do a past paper (in your case, it would probably be best to look at sample assessment materials on your exam boards website).

If I had time, I would make flashcards of key words and their definitions. However, for English and Maths the best thing to do is practise! Do loads of questions and papers

Hope this helps :smile: I managed to do really well in my GCSEs using this technique but it just depends on how you learn best. Some people I knew did mindmaps summarising each topic.

Good luck for those exams!
Reply 2
Original post by FLORA2001
I used the specification on the exam boards website as a 'tick list'. I used the textbook and made bullet points summarising all the relevant information but making sure I included all relevant points that I could be tested on, drew diagrams, highlighted key words and made it look visually appealing (but only if I had time).
Then, I read through it (and made sure I understood it!) and then didsome practise questions from a book to test my understanding. Once I had finished writing notes for one topic, I would do a past paper (in your case, it would probably be best to look at sample assessment materials on your exam boards website).

If I had time, I would make flashcards of key words and their definitions. However, for English and Maths the best thing to do is practise! Do loads of questions and papers

Hope this helps :smile: I managed to do really well in my GCSEs using this technique but it just depends on how you learn best. Some people I knew did mindmaps summarising each topic.

Good luck for those exams!

How many GCSEs did you take, if you don't mind me asking? And which one was the hardest for you to study for?
Original post by ir.yahya
How many GCSEs did you take, if you don't mind me asking? And which one was the hardest for you to study for?

Sorry for the very late reply!
I took 11 GCSEs, and personally for me the hardest one was English because nobody knew what the grade boundaries are and what types of essay questions they could possibly ask us. Also, it is such a subjective subject!
I managed to get an 8 in Language by practising a lot and using questions from revision books and workbooks, as well as sample assessment materials. For creative writing, I would just pick a random image and use it as a stimulus.
I did a similar thing for Lit - sometimes I would design my own questions by using my knowledge of themes related to a certain character. One of the questions which came up in Paper 2 was actually similar to one of the questions my teacher had designed for us to practise (very luckily). Also for Lit, make sure you memorise key quotations. I somehow managed to get a 9 (which I was definitely NOT expecting)

As well as English, I also found some of my sciences tricky to study for (but only because we hadn't finished the course)

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest