The Student Room Group

'Naive' students

Can anyone give any examples of what a 'naive' student is like? I looked up the word 'naive' in the dictionary and the definition was as follows:

na·ive or na·ïve ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-v, nä-) also na·if or na·ïf (n-f, nä)
adj.
Lacking worldly experience and understanding, especially:
Simple and guileless; artless: a child with a naive charm.
Unsuspecting or credulous: Students, often bright but naive, betand losesubstantial sums of money on sporting events” (Tim Layden).
Showing or characterized by a lack of sophistication and critical judgment: “this extravagance of metaphors, with its naive bombast” (H.L. Mencken).

Not previously subjected to experiments: testing naive mice.
Not having previously taken or received a particular drug: persons naive to marijuana.
Reply 1
crescendo
Can anyone give any examples of what a 'naive' student is like? I looked up the word 'naive' in the dictionary and the definition was as follows:

na·ive or na·ïve ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-v, nä-) also na·if or na·ïf (n-f, nä)
adj.
Lacking worldly experience and understanding, especially:
Simple and guileless; artless: a child with a naive charm.
Unsuspecting or credulous: Students, often bright but naive, betand losesubstantial sums of money on sporting events” (Tim Layden).
Showing or characterized by a lack of sophistication and critical judgment: “this extravagance of metaphors, with its naive bombast” (H.L. Mencken).

Not previously subjected to experiments: testing naive mice.
Not having previously taken or received a particular drug: persons naive to marijuana.

Yar..I know somebody who is very bright and works so darn hard but she knows absolutely nothing about real life. By that I mean she knows nothing about sex, about current affairs, about tv and entertainment, about what people can be really like. Its very scary, she can not join in most conversations because she is not aware of real life. It also must be mentioned that shes a strong christian.. :rolleyes:
VixenIW
It also must be mentioned that shes a strong christian.. :rolleyes:

Point?
Reply 3
they'd probably be naive due to lack of experience in the big wide world as it's known.. as in easy to sell a fake rolex to
Reply 4
NDGAARONDI
Point?

Most of the ones I know are the more naive among us. Its no coincedence
Reply 5
Can you also be a naive student in the sense that you're very bright, but for some reason don't do well in you're studies?
Reply 6
yes, but there's more to it than that.

a naive student would perhaps get an a in their mock exam, think 'oh im the greatest' and be so naive to think theyre incredibly bright and then get a c in the final or something, meaning they were deluded by the first test result and thought they were too good to need to work hard for the final. thats the best i can do at this time.
Reply 7
crescendo
Can you also be a naive student in the sense that you're very bright, but for some reason don't do well in you're studies?

Hmmm....I dunno if that would be called naive :confused: I do not know what that would be called
VixenIW
Most of the ones I know are the more naive among us. Its no coincedence

Not necessarily there own fault completely, parents have a lot of impact and so does the environment. A lot of smokers are naive about the risks and consequences of their actions you know, including my former chemistry teacher! :biggrin:
VixenIW
Hmmm....I dunno if that would be called naive :confused: I do not know what that would be called

Unfortunate. Life isn't fair, if it was I'd be in Oxford Uni to study law :biggrin:
Reply 10
NDGAARONDI
Not necessarily there own fault completely, parents have a lot of impact and so does the environment. A lot of smokers are naive about the risks and consequences of their actions you know, including my former chemistry teacher! :biggrin:

But are smokers naive about the consequences? I should think they are fully aware of the risks, they just choose to ignore them.
VixenIW
But are smokers naive about the consequences? I should think they are fully aware of the risks, they just choose to ignore them.

Not necessarily. Depends if they were naive at the time of taking up the filthy habit and becoming aware of the implications when they are 'hooked'.
Reply 12
piginapoke
Self-induced naivety. The power of denial and the ability to block things from one's mind. That's what I reckon anyway.

Lol, cunning. Im just going to agree with you because of all those clever words :tongue:
Reply 13
I know somone like this, but I think it is more a case of her lacking common sense. She is very bright (ABB in her A2's i think..) but comes across as being very stupid/lacking intelligence, and because of this she tends to annoy everyone..

Latest

Trending

Trending