The Student Room Group

Should I include that I may want to do Postgrad medicine in my Personal Statement?

So this is quite a self-explanatory title.

Basically, I am torn between either doing Biomedical Engineering, Medicine, or Environmental Engineering (or anything else that I see). I am going to apply for Natural Sciences degrees (at Cambridge, Durham, Leeds, Dundee and probably Lancaster), and was wondering whether I should mention that I may potentially want to do medicine in the future with me degree? Or if it is just useful to stick to one specific part of scientific research and focus my application on that, even though this would be lying?

No

Talking about something that you might want to do in 4 or 5 years time doesn’t improve your application. It will usually make you seem naive.

Your PS should be about your academic interests in the course that you’re applying for. Universities want to be confident that you will have the motivation and interest to get through 3+ years of studying that course. They don’t want to hear that you aren’t that interested and are aiming for something different afterwards.

Reading your post I would suggest that you would benefit most from taking a gap year and doing a YINI placement to work out what you actually want to study before committing to a degree.
Reply 2
As above - entirely pointless. Will not impress or make it anymore likely that you will get an offer.

Your PS should focus on why you want to do NS and not a single subject science degree.
Original post by tastierspoon460

Basically, I am torn between either doing Biomedical Engineering, Medicine, or Environmental Engineering (or anything else that I see). I am going to apply for Natural Sciences degrees (at Cambridge, Durham, Leeds, Dundee and probably Lancaster), and was wondering whether I should mention that I may potentially want to do medicine in the future with me degree? Or if it is just useful to stick to one specific part of scientific research and focus my application on that, even though this would be lying?

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster! My advice for personal statements is always to simply talk about the areas of science you are interested in most and in the case of natural sciences try and demonstrate the breadth of interests that you have. So if you're interested in going into medicine in the future you could talk about specific topics or specialties you're passionate about.

I hope that helps and if you have any questions about Lancaster or natural sciences in general, don't hesitate to ask me :smile:

Oliver (Student Ambassador)
If you’re already thinking about GEM, you’d probably be better off applying for undergrad med unless you are really on the fence about it.
Original post by tastierspoon460

Hi !

Just thought I'd pop in and help you answer some of your questions .I'm a second year Chemical engineering student at Lancaster University .As Oliver mentioned it is important to mention the aspects of natural science that you're interested in .It would also not harm your application to explain how natural science can be related and help your future in Biomedical engineering ,medicine or environmental engineering as most of the modules that you will be learning will be correlating with the medical aspects as well. Something that you should NOT do is fake interest or lie in your personal statement ,I think it would be quite beneficial if the universities can see how the degree can impact your future as this shows your interest and since the personal statement should reflect you, it would be better. Hope this helps and good luck with your application ! Thanks

Yamini
FST Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending