The Student Room Group

Money

My parents have 10 thousand pounds of my money. 7 thousand pounds of my student finance and 3 thousand pounds of my savings. I gave this to them when I was in the first year of university and now I am in my last year. To me this is a big amount of money although I do have savings. I feel rude asking them about this , but at the end of the day I should be entitled to get the money back? I feel rude since I know this is my parents and they have provided for me my whole life.
Reply 1
Original post by Confused2729372
My parents have 10 thousand pounds of my money. 7 thousand pounds of my student finance and 3 thousand pounds of my savings. I gave this to them when I was in the first year of university and now I am in my last year. To me this is a big amount of money although I do have savings. I feel rude asking them about this , but at the end of the day I should be entitled to get the money back? I feel rude since I know this is my parents and they have provided for me my whole life.

Why did you give it to them? It YOUR SFE loan and you'll have to pay interest on it. Ask for it back - I don't expect my children to give me their money ...
Original post by Muttley79
Why did you give it to them? It YOUR SFE loan and you'll have to pay interest on it. Ask for it back - I don't expect my children to give me their money ...

They wanted it for housework. My sister gives them a lot of money for literally everything, so they may have that expectation of me too. Which I don’t actually think is right.
Reply 3
They wanted it for housework. My sister gives them a lot of money for literally everything, so they may have that expectation of me too. Which I don’t actually think is right.

They have no right to all your money - if you are living at home then maybe something towards food but not £7000 and not your savings either.
Isn't student finance meant to help you with uni?
Original post by Muttley79
They have no right to all your money - if you are living at home then maybe something towards food but not £7000 and not your savings either.

I agree
Original post by Kutie Karen
Isn't student finance meant to help you with uni?

yes but I live at home and work part time.
yes but I live at home and work part time.

I would feel so bad for asking eurghh like actually such a horrible person. But I would really like that money. How would you guys go about this?
Reply 8
I would feel so bad for asking eurghh like actually such a horrible person. But I would really like that money. How would you guys go about this?

Not have given it to start with?

Bit late now you've given it away.

Move out?

Just ask your parents for a part of the sum, not the whole. You and your parents have saved the money for you and it is not bad to have a small fortune on your account.
Did your parents ask you to give the money to them as a gift? :confused:
Or to pay it to them to cover the costs of rent & food if you kept living at home?
Or did they tell you that they would look after the money and return it to you after you left uni?
Original post by londonmyst
Did your parents ask you to give the money to them as a gift? :confused:
Or to pay it to them to cover the costs of rent & food if you kept living at home?
Or did they tell you that they would look after the money and return it to you after you left uni?

They were getting house work done, extending the house so they needed money. I naively gave it to them although I had nothing to my name. And now three years forward I’m not sure if they remember or what is happening with it.
Reply 12
They were getting house work done, extending the house so they needed money. I naively gave it to them although I had nothing to my name. And now three years forward I’m not sure if they remember or what is happening with it.

It will be shown in bank statements that the money was moved between accounts.
Original post by Surnia
It will be shown in bank statements that the money was moved between accounts.

but I’m not sure why I feel so guilty for asking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending