The Student Room Group

A-level Maths as a mature student coming from abroad

Hello there. I am currently self-studying A-level maths and physics and I want to take the exams and acquire the qualifications (I need them for applying at the university). I am a bit confused with the system. The online courses seem to have a structure of 6 exams throughout the year that count equally towards the end grade. But as a home-studying student, could I sit at just the final exam in June as an external candidate? Would that one exam be adequate to offer me the A-level qualification that I need? Also, what exact exams do I need in maths and physics? There seem to be lots of modules and I am not sure which is the one that I need. Ideally, I would like to sit at the 2018 exams. Thank you for your help. x
Original post by AdaE
Hello there. I am currently self-studying A-level maths and physics and I want to take the exams and acquire the qualifications (I need them for applying at the university). I am a bit confused with the system. The online courses seem to have a structure of 6 exams throughout the year that count equally towards the end grade. But as a home-studying student, could I sit at just the final exam in June as an external candidate? Would that one exam be adequate to offer me the A-level qualification that I need? Also, what exact exams do I need in maths and physics? There seem to be lots of modules and I am not sure which is the one that I need. Ideally, I would like to sit at the 2018 exams. Thank you for your help. x

Assuming you are in the uk:
Maths is a little confusing as a new specification is being introduced this year. Your can either sit 6 unit exams for the old specification (C1-4 plus two applications units) or the the new specification (3 exam papers). You have a choice of examiners and need to sort out which one you are going to prepare for.
For physics you also have a choice of examiners, each examiner publishes a specification on their web site that explains in detail what exams must be taken and what if any options you can choose from. In addition to the exams (3 for all examiners I think) you will probably find that universities require you to successfully complete the endorsement of practical skills. Completing the practicals is difficult and expensive for private candidates, not many centres offer it and you'll be looking at £1000+ for the practicals and exams.

If you are an international candidate taking international A levels in your own country, these are modular qualifications. You have to sit all of the unit exams to complete the full A level but can sit them all in one exam season.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your reply gdunne42. I had a look at colleges offering practicals. I am in the UK and I plan to take the AQA board exams. As you very correctly mentioned, the uni requires practical skills which none of the online A level courses provide so I am on the hunt to find the most affordable option. I am moving to Oxfordshire and I will have easy access to Berkshire and London for the practicals. I just want to make sure that I take the right route, as time is extremely precious (I have 2 young kids). I guess that it will still be cheaper to do online fast-track A-level and take the practicals at a college than attend the whole course at a college. Thanks again and if you have any other tips, I would appreciate them vastly.
Original post by AdaE
Thank you very much for your reply gdunne42. I had a look at colleges offering practicals. I am in the UK and I plan to take the AQA board exams. As you very correctly mentioned, the uni requires practical skills which none of the online A level courses provide so I am on the hunt to find the most affordable option. I am moving to Oxfordshire and I will have easy access to Berkshire and London for the practicals. I just want to make sure that I take the right route, as time is extremely precious (I have 2 young kids). I guess that it will still be cheaper to do online fast-track A-level and take the practicals at a college than attend the whole course at a college. Thanks again and if you have any other tips, I would appreciate them vastly.

https://www.greenes.org.uk/a-level-science-practicals/

Quick Reply

Latest