Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm a year 12 student, and I'm unsure whether to take up biology as a 5th A-Level. I was one of the best students at GCSE and the teacher is being really kind by considering taking me up on the course so late. I'm currently doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics: if I did biology I'd have to drop electronics, which I'm considering self-teaching (teacher hasn't signed me up to it yet - no issue dropping it).

I'm undecided on whether to do Medicine or Engineering. But if I'm applying for general engineering at Cambridge, would not doing the electronics AS self-taught and having done biology AS instead be a negative on my application? I already did electronics GCSE out of school anyway and got an A* - perhaps this would be more than enough, and electronics isn't necessary?

I reaaaally want to expand my options with biology, but I'm worried that not doing electronics A-level would hurt engineering prospects and risk not having enough on my personal statement to talk about that's relevant to engineering.

P.S. Outside of school I am involved in a STEM radiation detector project, a chemistry STEM project (possibly), I play 2 instruments to grade 8, speak 5 languages (English, Polish Italian, German, French) - Italian and polish I am doing at GCSE this year as I'm quite fluent in them (parents speak those languages), and I did German and French GCSE already. I do LAMDA grade 6 and I'm involved in a school play. I also do A-Cappella and orchestra and swim on Fridays. I volunteered at my local library for 2 months over the summer. I'm volunteering on a trip to Malawi to help out. All that's missing is work experience, which I'll apply to soon. If I did medicine, I'd apply for work experience at my dad's hospital. For engineering, I'd apply to the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. Maybe competitions too - the Clean Tech Competition sounds good for engineering. For medicine, I'd just send off my chemistry STEM to the Crest Awards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Hi. I'm a year 12 student, and I'm unsure whether to take up biology as a 5th A-Level. I was one of the best students at GCSE and the teacher is being really kind by considering taking me up on the course so late. I'm currently doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics: if I did biology I'd have to drop electronics, which I'm considering self-teaching (teacher hasn't signed me up to it yet - no issue dropping it).

I'm undecided on whether to do Medicine or Engineering. But if I'm applying for general engineering at Cambridge, would not doing the electronics AS self-taught and having done biology AS instead be a negative on my application? I already did electronics GCSE out of school anyway and got an A* - perhaps this would be more than enough, and electronics isn't necessary?

I reaaaally want to expand my options with biology, but I'm worried that not doing electronics A-level would hurt engineering prospects and risk not having enough on my personal statement to talk about that's relevant to engineering.

P.S. Outside of school I am involved in a STEM radiation detector project, a chemistry STEM project (possibly), I play 2 instruments to grade 8, speak 5 languages (English, Polish Italian, German, French) - Italian and polish I am doing at GCSE this year as I'm quite fluent in them (parents speak those languages), and I did German and French GCSE already. I do LAMDA grade 6 and I'm involved in a school play. I also do A-Cappella and orchestra and swim on Fridays. I volunteered at my local library for 2 months over the summer. I'm volunteering on a trip to Malawi to help out. All that's missing is work experience, which I'll apply to soon. If I did medicine, I'd apply for work experience at my dad's hospital. For engineering, I'd apply to the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. Maybe competitions too - the Clean Tech Competition sounds good for engineering. For medicine, I'd just send off my chemistry STEM to the Crest Awards.
    Are you going to take all five to A2? If so that could detriment your offer completely
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Neither Electronics nor Biology would benefit or detract from an application to Engineering. Additionally there are a fair number of Medicine courses that do not require Biology.

You would be best focusing on your 4 subjects and not worrying about chasing additional ones - you already have a greater than usual workload, and AAABB is much worse than A*A*A, when applying to either of these courses.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of joining biology soon as well. The head of a level biology hasn't been available the last few days so I have to wait until Monday. I do maths chemistry and economics and will probably drop economics soon if not definitely a2. (I don't need econ I just like it)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Honestly life gets harder at A2 with 4, nevermind 5...

You need 3 only. Get the best grades in them rather than focusing on 5 different ones.

You have alot more to talk about on you PS than most people!

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can drop electronics and do Biology, it is a respectable course but it's going to be hard at A2 with 5 A levels. You should only do Biology if you really enjoyed it, because it will be hard to be on top during revision period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cubecon)
    Are you going to take all five to A2? If so that could detriment your offer completely
    No, if I did 5, I'd only do 4 to A2. Bear in mind that I'm doing Maths a year early, so I'd only be doing 3 in Yr13. If I choose to do engineering, I'll drop biology. If i choose to go medicine I'll drop further maths, which I'm doing over 2 years, rather than the fast-track one year for pure maths.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in a very similar situation as you and honestly I'm actually quite shocked.

I've been taking Physics, Chemistry and Maths(and Computer Science through self-teaching) for a while now and I've finally decided to take Biology too. I was really good at it during my IGCSEs and my teacher was especially very kind and thoughtful towards me although I'm more of a delinquent really. Moreover, I gave my IGCSE exam this summer and got a straight A* with minimal effort and so I think it will be a better choice to take this as Information Technology was just not getting in my head. With that being said, I'm a 100% certain I'll drop Biology(along with Computer Science) when I go to A2, so I'll only be appearing for three since University's mostly only consider three. Doing these 5AS however will open up doors for me in the Medicine as well as the Engineering courses so I think the pain will be worth it in the long run.

Honestly, I'm so glad that there are actually people who are actually considering what I'm and that I'm not the only one in this very-possible suicide brilliant idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)

Do you go to a private school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomellow)
    Do you go to a private school?
    No, I go to a grammar school. Though for the record my primary school was a private school, and I did lots of drama/music related stuff there, which explains why I have carried through with a lot of it in my current school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.