The Student Room Group

Applied for medicine, but am now wondering if languages as 5th option is possible

So far I have applied to 4 medical schools and didn't submit anything as my 5th option. After talking to a friend who applied to medicine last year and didn't receive any offers, I'm considering asking to send in a second personal statement to apply for MFL as my 5th choice.
I understand that it's very unlikely that they'd take me given that I'd have to submit a second personal statement and only take 1 language (French) at A Level alongside Bio and Chem, but as I would only want to study languages as a 5th option instead of Biomed or something similar, it seems worth a shot to ask anyway.
I have done a month of au pairing in France so I'm not completely starting from scratch on work experience / proving I love languages.
If I didn't get any offers for medicine this year I would take a gap year and evaluate whether I'd want to reapply or go straight for languages, so it seems worth a go to see if I'd get a place this year, and then it's not the end of the world if I don't.
Having said that, I'd want to be able to apply somewhere good, as opposed to just wherever would take a medical applicant.
Any advice?
(edited 6 months ago)
I think you’re over-estimating how important the PS is for selection for a low demand subject like ML.

Ring a few places tomorrow and ask them if they even need a separate PS for a ML application.

Also consider whether you would want to study ML at any of your medicine choices. If any send you a rejection you can get in touch to ask if they’ll consider you for ML as an alternative.
Reply 2
Also - its possible to do an MFL degree with French plus another language at beginner level -
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2024/modern-languages/
or a French/French Culture degree - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/slc/modules/french-francophone-studies

Many Unis will allow you to submit a separate PS for a 5th choice course - just ask the Uni before you apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending