Other unis I applied to: Leicester, Manchester, Sheffield

Good luck with your application!
(edited 6 years ago)
Sent my application last Wednesday!

GCSEs 4A* 3A 3B 1C
A level predictions AAA
UKCAT : 720 band 2
Also applied to Bristol, Liverpool, Plymouth, and Birmingham to do bio med

I know A level predictions are very low for Exeter, but I qualify for their contextual offer so I make the top band thankfully

Good luck to everyone else
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Great stats! what is the contextual offer based on? Is it for non selective schools?

Thanks! And I’ve just copied this from Exeter’s website:

There are three main elements of contextual information that we will consider where it is available from your UCAS application form. This information will be used together with publicly available datasets to provide the following information:

Your home address will be assessed using the HEFCE POLAR3 Low Participation Neighbourhood (LPN) data.
Whether you have been looked after or in care during your schooling.
The performance of the school or college where you took your A-levels or equivalent qualifications.

I haven’t been in care, but the other two categories I fall into, perks of going to a not so good school I suppose
Reply 4
Heya!

GCSEs: 10A* 2A
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 702.5 avg Band 2
Other unis: Bristol, Manchester & Southampton

Good luck!:h:
Ay thanks for this mate!

A Level Achieved: A*AB
UKCAT: 680 avg Band 2
Other unis: SGUL, Plymouth, UEA

Stats aren't great but I became a young carer during my last year of school so we just gotta hope for their compassion innit
Good luck to you all!
I would love to change one of my choices to exeter but I have A*A*A* predictions which means I cant get higher than the 2nd tier where the ukcat cut off is applied and my ukcat is low 640 :frown:(
(edited 6 years ago)
where did you apply? and same but I guess we will never be sure of the cutoff this year and how many people will have 3a* predicted , so I just chose exeter as my most "risky" choice and praying on the other 3 choices for interviews lol

I feel like all my choices are risky
Where did you apply?
I thought having 3 A* predictions basically guaranteed an interview? Can someone explain how the application actually works?
Reply 9
Tier one means you've achieved 3A*, tier 2 is you're predicted 3 or achieved 2, and so on
Applicants with contextual data are assessed separately so I will explain it as if you did not have any contextual flags. If you do, tell me and I'll explain it too.

You are put into tiers. With predicted grades the highest tier you can get put into is tier 2 with A*A*A*. Then they go down the tiers until they filled their places for interview. This meant that last year the cutoff fell into tier 2, they then ranked the applicants in tier 2 by UKCAT score and invited x number of candidates with the highest scores. For illustration purposes let's assume they had 100 places left to fill from tier 2. This essentially lead to a UKCAT cut-off as candidates with a UKCAT score of less than the 100th person on the ranked list will have been rejected.

Assuming this information is correct last years interview offers for non-contextual candidates would have looked like this:
Tier 1: Everyone is invited for interview
Tier 2: Everyone who has a UKCAT score above the cutoff (check the 2017 thread, I believe it's on there) is invited for interview, the rest rejected
Tier 3: Everyone is rejected
Tier 4: Everyone is rejected

If you check last years thread there were quite a few people claiming inconsistencies with the admissions policy so just look at this as a rough guideline from what I understood from the admissions policy on their website and explanations in rejection emails people seemed to have received last year.
Reply 11
I applied for Exeter medicine with AAA prediction and 605 ukcat... I think it might be wise to withdraw my application..
Any suggestions?
Original post by KRSR
I applied for Exeter medicine with AAA prediction and 605 ukcat... I think it might be wise to withdraw my application..
Any suggestions?

Why withdraw it? It is too late now to change to another medicine course so unless you want to apply to a non-medical course you might as well just hope for the best. Completely withdrawing it is really just a waste of one of your 5 UCAS applications.
Reply 13
Original post by studyious
Why withdraw it? It is too late now to change to another medicine course so unless you want to apply to a non-medical course you might as well just hope for the best. Completely withdrawing it is really just a waste of one of your 5 UCAS applications.

I'm doing resits so Exeter was the only medicine course I could apply to, Im thinking I might aswell withdraw my whole application and reapply to 5 different courses.
exeter isn't the only one that you can apply to with resits. You still also have 4 other spaces that you could fill and apply to for different courses e.g. biomed. I applied to biomed as my 5th and have received an offer with my medicine personal statement. I believe even if you decide to withdraw, you can still only apply to 4 more unis .

Depending on when he/she applied they might still be able to substitute their choice via track. I believe you have 14 days after sending off your application to do so. However, in that case you cannot apply for another medicine course as the equal considerations deadline has already passed.

Given the situation that they described I think it is best to either substitute the choice to an alternative medicine related course or completely withdraw your application and apply next year with achieved retakes.
Bit out of date but I was a resit applicant to Exeter with achieved A*A and A* prediction for my resit alongside a further AB prediction for additional subjects and still got rejected pre-interview for 2016 entry.
Applying to Exeter with:
GCSE: 5A* 6A
AS: AAAA
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT Score: 638

Basically applied thinking I would be in top tier but evidently not. My postcode qualifies for contextual but my school doesn't so I'm not too sure about that (think I will email Exeter just to double check). If not, then my chances are low to be honest. Just have to hope that loads of people were put off or not many people have the predictions so that there's a lower UKCAT score. Hanging in by the thread here to be honest.
Original post by jaydengi
Applying to Exeter with:
GCSE: 5A* 6A
AS: AAAA
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT Score: 638

Basically applied thinking I would be in top tier but evidently not. My postcode qualifies for contextual but my school doesn't so I'm not too sure about that (think I will email Exeter just to double check). If not, then my chances are low to be honest. Just have to hope that loads of people were put off or not many people have the predictions so that there's a lower UKCAT score. Hanging in by the thread here to be honest.

Dont worry. Youll be happy to hear im not predicted 3A* and i applied :smile:
did they reply to you about the contextual offer? Im wondering the same thing

I literally posted that and forgot to send an email, so I don't know anything
When do you think we will hear about interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest