The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Question on offers/interviews for international students

I applied to Imperial for Msci Physics on the 13th of October. Since then I've received an email regarding interviews. It said that though it prefers that international students went to London to interview, they understand that not everyone can make it so they will make offers (higher) purely based on what's on UCAS.

My questions are: If I'm bad at interviews, is it worth it to ask for an interview or is it better just to wait for the offer without the interview? If I get offered an interview (as an international student) would they tell me my chances of getting in if I couldn't attend it? And while we're at it, how long does it take for them to give an offer??

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Justaskingreally
I applied to Imperial for Msci Physics on the 13th of October. Since then I've received an email regarding interviews. It said that though it prefers that international students went to London to interview, they understand that not everyone can make it so they will make offers (higher) purely based on what's on UCAS.

My questions are: If I'm bad at interviews, is it worth it to ask for an interview or is it better just to wait for the offer without the interview? If I get offered an interview (as an international student) would they tell me my chances of getting in if I couldn't attend it? And while we're at it, how long does it take for them to give an offer??

Thanks

Hi same case here. I wrote to them to request for an interview coz anyway I will be travelling to the UK as a post A Level trip (lol) but havent got back from them yet :frown:

Please let us know if you have any update :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I live in California. My son applied to Imperial last year, and is now studying there. For him, the choice would have been between an in-person or Skype interview. From my experience of interviews, and wanting him to visit anywhere he may study at for 4 years, I made sure that he attended in-person. I'd arranged a trip to tour the universities to which he'd applied, and Imperial were able to schedule an interview to coincide with that, although they obviously cannot guarantee this, but they'd already decided that they wanted.to interview him.

Overseas fees are expensive, so I'd definitely want to do in-person interviews and tour any that you're serious about attending.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RogerOxon
I live in California. My son applied to Imperial last year, and is now studying there. For him, the choice would have been between an in-person or Skype interview. From my experience of interviews, and wanting him to visit anywhere he may study at for 4 years, I made sure that he attended in-person. I'd arranged a trip to tour the universities to which he'd applied, and Imperial were able to schedule an interview to coincide with that, although they obviously cannot guarantee this, but they'd already decided that they wanted.to interview him.

Overseas fees are expensive, so I'd definitely want to do in-person interviews and tour any that you're serious about attending.

May I know when he applied and when he got the invitation for interview?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by Limpeh
May I know when he applied and when he got the invitation for interview?

He applied in late September 2017. They only decided to interview him just before we flew to the UK in mid-December. There are obviously no guarantees, but, if you're applying to several UK universities, I'd plan a visit, even if an interview isn't possible. Imperial (at least for JMC) publish a list of days when they'll be interviewing, so it might make sense to plan for that.

Again, it's very competitive, so many will not get interviews or offers. They're also very busy, so may not be able to fit-in with your schedule.

That sounds much more reasonable. However, is strange that Imperial emailed me saying if I don't travel to the UK, they will decide on whether to offer or not using the information from UCAS and nothing else. They also mentioned that the requirements would be higher but no mention of a skype interview.
That sounds much more reasonable. However, is strange that Imperial emailed me saying if I don't travel to the UK, they will decide on whether to offer or not using the information from UCAS and nothing else. They also mentioned that the requirements would be higher but no mention of a skype interview.

My son's application was processed by the Computing department, so it looks like the Physics department does things differently. Given what they've said, I'd be planning a trip.
My son's application was processed by the Computing department, so it looks like the Physics department does things differently. Given what they've said, I'd be planning a trip.

Yup, though I don't like interviews, you're the third person to tell me that an interview is the best choice. I guess I'll just have to live through it. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending