The Student Room Group

Doubt about medicine.

Medicine is a tough journey but a well defined one there are very clear steps and the future is quite clear if you can successfully do every step.Other degrees are uncertain but flexible.I wanted to do medicine since year 9 now I had started a levels I am doing biology,chemistry and maths.For my first mocks my results were E,E,C.I recently thought about doing a maths degree but I am worried I will struggle so my idea is to do 1 more work experience in a more broad speciality my first work experience being in haematology and make my mind up.If I decide once and for all that medicine is not for me I will take a gap year and do further maths if I get good grades.I feel like medicine is a career I enjoy but the financial thing is worrying I like maths so I would not mind working in the financial sector but then a job in finance is not certain.To clarify I never wanted to do medicine for the money it is the money factor of medicine which is concerning.

In my mind I am not there yet in terms of grades but I will eventually get there the struggle is part of success.
You will earn more than enough in medicine to be comfortable, except perhaps in London you may be stretched a little thinner, even with extra London pay.

Mathematics at university is entirely unlike at A-level, really. I'd suggest taking a look at Spivak's Calculus to get an idea of what it entails. Broadly, at university in mathematics you will be concerned with finding general solutions to problems, rather than specific ones as in A-level, and then proving rigorously that those solutions are "correct". That's at least the most laymans way to put it I can think of...

Quick Reply

Latest