The Student Room Group

My parents are forcing me to do medicine, but I’ll rather go into astrophysics.

My parents are forcing me to do medicine, but I’ll rather go into astrophysics. They said they’ll send me back to india if I fail to get into university for medicine here in the uk. The reason why they are against it, is that they believe there are no jobs available in astrophysics so it’s better to play safe and that it’s too competitive. I’m not sure on what to do. They said they’ll stop supporting me financially and disown me if I don’t do medicine.
charge it
Reply 2
Original post by xNinjaMeloN
charge it

💀💀
Reply 3
Original post by smeraldo
My parents are forcing me to do medicine, but I’ll rather go into astrophysics. They said they’ll send me back to india if I fail to get into university for medicine here in the uk. The reason why they are against it, is that they believe there are no jobs available in astrophysics so it’s better to play safe and that it’s too competitive. I’m not sure on what to do. They said they’ll stop supporting me financially and disown me if I don’t do medicine.

follow your passion, this seems to be another case of the bs asian parents say to manipulate you (im asian btw)
Reply 4

Send you back to India? WTF.

Are you a UK citizen? I wouldn't let your passport out of your sight and make sure you have access to some savings. Better to be disowned and free than forcibly moved to another country. You need to be able to make your own decisions when it comes to your studies and career.
Their logic is ridiculous. There are so many jobs you could get with an astrophysics degree, for example pretty much the entire financial sector is open to you.
Reply 6
Original post by zkan
follow your passion, this seems to be another case of the bs asian parents say to manipulate you (im asian btw)

Pretty much, the manipulation is astounding.
Reply 7
Original post by Labradoodle1
Their logic is ridiculous. There are so many jobs you could get with an astrophysics degree, for example pretty much the entire financial sector is open to you.

I’ve tried explaining that to them, but I feel like they’ll act the same no matter what other degree I choose, for them it just has to be medicine.
Honestly I highly doubt they would actually disown you over something as petty as this, it's probably empty threats to manipulate you. However, if they genuinely would actually disown you over something like this maybe it's for the best, that would make them tyrants and not parents.
Reply 9

Have you sspoken to school about this? You are the one completing the UCAS form; they can't make you do medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending