The Student Room Group

Studying Law but only thinking "what if I can do medicine" - depression

I come from a family that practice medicine, my 5 of my 7 cousins went to medicine schools. However for me it was different, my mother never believed I could do it even as a child I was told that I'm not a good student.

I still had this dream. I struggled to get into uni as I did not have GCSEs and A-levels (don't judge please this wasn't my choice).

I'm now doing my foundation year of Law, so far my lecturers are satisfied and I am enjoying the course I also like Law and it was always my 2nd plan + I spent 4 years trying to get into uni.

Thing is I always find myself around med students, I always Google and watch videos about them. I keep reading med students books and sometimes study with my gf who is a 2nd yr med student.

I know that I may have no chance to study medicine but I always wonder if I'm wrong about this point and if there's maybe a chance that I'm missing.
I'm 21 so I don't want to regret wasting time but what should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I come from a family that practice medicine, my 5 of my 7 cousins went to medicine schools. However for me it was different, my mother never believed I could do it even as a child I was told that I'm not a good student.

I still had this dream. I struggled to get into uni as I did not have GCSEs and A-levels (don't judge please this wasn't my choice).

I'm now doing my foundation year of Law, so far my lecturers are satisfied and I am enjoying the course I also like Law and it was always my 2nd plan + I spent 4 years trying to get into uni.

Thing is I always find myself around med students, I always Google and watch videos about them. I keep reading med students books and sometimes study with my gf who is a 2nd yr med student.

I know that I may have no chance to study medicine but I always wonder if I'm wrong about this point and if there's maybe a chance that I'm missing.
I'm 21 so I don't want to regret wasting time but what should I do?

I went to med school at 23, I did the year zero course with liverpool uni for mature students. It's never too late if it's what you want to do in life. I know med students in their late 30s and 40s.

Quick Reply

Latest