The Student Room Group

Reading book for fitting in a medical personal statement for Oxbridge. ???

What is the best reading book for getting into medical college. Universities like oxford or Cambridge. I'm having real trouble trying to pick one out that could be beneficial when writing my personal statement next year.
Thanks for the help
Original post by PROFESSOR ORANGE
What is the best reading book for getting into medical college. Universities like oxford or Cambridge. I'm having real trouble trying to pick one out that could be beneficial when writing my personal statement next year.
Thanks for the help

Unfortunately you are evidently deluded about how this works, if it's Med books are NOT really relevant at all, and they work more off work experience and other similar more practical parts.
Reply 2
King's College Cambridge have a reading list on their website for Medicine, so you might want to have a look:

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/offerholders/reading-lists/medicine.html

Good luck with your application next year!
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Unfortunately you are evidently deluded about how this works, if it's Med books are NOT really relevant at all, and they work more off work experience and other similar more practical parts.

Original post by WarByte
King's College Cambridge have a reading list on their website for Medicine, so you might want to have a look:

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/offerholders/reading-lists/medicine.html

Good luck with your application next year!

I suspect you both miss the point the OP is asking, although the phrasing of the question is poor.

Original post by PROFESSOR ORANGE
Thanks for the help

If you are indeed asking about a non-clinical book, there are lots of options out there. However, I do not want to list specific ones in this post as you seem to miss the point about your application.

Just mentioning that you read a book which is interesting gets you no points in your PS or in your interview. You have to write about why it has been interesting and what you have learnt from it. Has it influenced you in any way? I read many PSs where people simply state 'I have read Book x by Author Y.' This is pointless. You must, essentially, reflect on the book and the best statements I have read make me want to know more about a particular topic described by the student.

As I described above, there are hundreds of books that could be read. It is up to you to find an interesting read but why don't you start off by seeing if anything from Atul Gawande interests you?
Reply 4
Original post by Kyalimers
I suspect you both miss the point the OP is asking, although the phrasing of the question is poor.

If you are indeed asking about a non-clinical book, there are lots of options out there. However, I do not want to list specific ones in this post as you seem to miss the point about your application.

Just mentioning that you read a book which is interesting gets you no points in your PS or in your interview. You have to write about why it has been interesting and what you have learnt from it. Has it influenced you in any way? I read many PSs where people simply state 'I have read Book x by Author Y.' This is pointless. You must, essentially, reflect on the book and the best statements I have read make me want to know more about a particular topic described by the student.

As I described above, there are hundreds of books that could be read. It is up to you to find an interesting read but why don't you start off by seeing if anything from Atul Gawande interests you?

Ahh, I see what the question was asking now - thanks for clarifying.

Reading a book unrelated to your subject won't be worth much, but being 'well read' in general may make you seem more eloquent in interviews as you'll have a more broad vocabulary and have a better understanding of society in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending