The Student Room Group
Hey, Im taking chains and rings too.

By Looking at past papers I would suggest that the following appears pretty regularly:

Nucleophillic Substitution/Electrophillic Addition curly arrow mechanisms.
Cis/Trans Isomerism (+ drawing of isomers)
Infra Red Spectroscopy
Elimination/Substition reactions of Haloalkanes.
Addition Polymerisation
The reactions of Alkenes, Alcohols and Haloalkanes + reagents and conditions.
Also the Nuc sub reactions of Haloalkanes, such as CN-/ethanol producing Nitriles, and NH3/ethanol, producing Amines.
The effect of Bond polarity and bond enthalpy on the reactivity of C-hal.
The El. Ad of alkenes.
The difference between a pi and sigma bond/ why alkenes are more reactive than alkanes.

In terms of the essay q; Ive seen this question more often than others: "The fractions from crude oil can be processed by cracking reforming, and Isomerisation. Outline these processes with the aid of suitable equations. State clearly the industrial importance of the products formed in each process".

I just did a paper in which the last longer question was about comparing the rates of hydrolysis of different Haloalkanes too.

Then obviously there's topics carried forward from foundation...i.e moles/percentage yield.

Good Luck! :smile:
They like curly arrow mechanisms and reagent and condition questions a lot, so I'd get those memorised cos they're easy marks to pick up.
Reply 3
loool me too, i love those question because its easy to get full marks
Reply 4
im resitting to maximise my AS marks and in the summer paper that i did it was on fuels and cracking, reforming and isomerisation so i doubt that will come up as the essay question this time, but then i could be wrong....
The essay question is generally easy as its something general that everyone is well aware of. Get lots of practice writing stuff succintly as the downfall is waffling and not organising information-- time is tight on Chemistry papers. It should be a banker as there will be tougher questions in the paper.

Latest