The Student Room Group

Why does eating out always make me feel ill ?

Everytime I've eaten out or had a takeaway i always feel ill after . My tummy feels really full I get bloated and pass gas and always have an upset tummy and diarrhoea the morning after . Does anyone else suffer from anything similar ? I thought it was just some dodgy food now and then but it's happening alot now do I just live with it ?
Original post by Anonymous
Everytime I've eaten out or had a takeaway i always feel ill after . My tummy feels really full I get bloated and pass gas and always have an upset tummy and diarrhoea the morning after . Does anyone else suffer from anything similar ? I thought it was just some dodgy food now and then but it's happening alot now do I just live with it ?

What sort of places are we talking about here? Burger joints? Indian takeaways? Chinese takeaways? Pizza restaurants? Michelin-starred restaurants?

Is there any common denominator? Do you find that you eat more when eating out or getting takeaways? Are you aware of having any food intolerances?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What sort of places are we talking about here? Burger joints? Indian takeaways? Chinese takeaways? Pizza restaurants? Michelin-starred restaurants?

Is there any common denominator? Do you find that you eat more when eating out or getting takeaways? Are you aware of having any food intolerances?

As far as I am aware don't have any food intolerances it seems my tummy can't handle any different foods I'm always the same when I go away . Sometimes it's after takeaways but worse when I've been to chain restaurants . I wonder if its what they cook the food in I went out and had a chicken burger and chips on Tuesday nothing spicy and it really upset my stomach wasnt ill all day just had stomach pains and the runs for an hour in the morning. Unsure why and what do as its embarassing?
As far as I am aware don't have any food intolerances it seems my tummy can't handle any different foods I'm always the same when I go away . Sometimes it's after takeaways but worse when I've been to chain restaurants . I wonder if its what they cook the food in I went out and had a chicken burger and chips on Tuesday nothing spicy and it really upset my stomach wasnt ill all day just had stomach pains and the runs for an hour in the morning. Unsure why and what do as its embarassing?

The only way to tackle this, I think, is to keep a detailed food diary. If you have issues after having visited a particular chain restaurant, then next time you visit that particular chain order something very different - different food cooked in a different way - and a different drink.

Hopefully after a while you'll spot a pattern. Perhaps, as you say, it's what they cook the food in (e.g. the oil or whatever) which is the issue. Perhaps it's a particular ingredient. Only a food diary will tell you that.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1

u eat poison , you get poisoned
Original post by examboard

Is it your view that all restaurant food is poison? Or only that of chain restaurants? Or particular chain restaurants?
Reply 6
The only way to tackle this, I think, is to keep a detailed food diary. If you have issues after having visited a particular chain restaurant, then next time you visit that particular chain order something very different - different food cooked in a different way - and a different drink.

Hopefully after a while you'll spot a pattern. Perhaps, as you say, it's what they cook the food in (e.g. the oil or whatever) which is the issue. Perhaps it's a particular ingredient. Only a food diary will tell you that.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice I will try a food diary, don't know what makes me like this although most of my bowel movements are type 5 -6 on the stool chart anyway even after home cooking. Would it be worth visiting a doctor or not ? I don't normally feel ill only after food out as I said but lately my stools are becoming looser .
Reply 7
Original post by examboard

Thanks for the reply I was just looking for any advice if anyone has experienced similar and how to cope with the symptoms ?
Reply 8
Eating out tends to be different food composition, typically higher fat, and larger portion size and it seems you are very sensitive to change in diet. I think it’s not uncommon to have this type of problem. With these extreme symptoms it is worth seeing your GP for some advise
Thanks for the advice I will try a food diary, don't know what makes me like this although most of my bowel movements are type 5 -6 on the stool chart anyway even after home cooking. Would it be worth visiting a doctor or not ? I don't normally feel ill only after food out as I said but lately my stools are becoming looser .

If you've spotted a pattern where you have issues after having eaten out but not having cooked at home, then your doctor will want to know what the difference is. The food diary will tell them that. So wait a few weeks (or however long it takes to get a reasonable amount of data) and then visit your GP. (BTW, your food diary should ideally list what you eat at home too, and how it's cooked, to act as a "control" and for comparison purposes.)
Reply 10
Original post by Zarek
Eating out tends to be different food composition, typically higher fat, and larger portion size and it seems you are very sensitive to change in diet. I think it’s not uncommon to have this type of problem. With these extreme symptoms it is worth seeing your GP for some advise

Thankyou I never had a sensitive stomach until recently don't know what would have caused this ? I'm going to try a food diary as already suggested and then see how I feel . It's a very embarrassing problem and feel a little silly going to see a doctor but can't carry on having diarrhoea everytime I've been out .
Reply 11
If you've spotted a pattern where you have issues after having eaten out but not having cooked at home, then your doctor will want to know what the difference is. The food diary will tell them that. So wait a few weeks (or however long it takes to get a reasonable amount of data) and then visit your GP. (BTW, your food diary should ideally list what you eat at home too, and how it's cooked, to act as a "control" and for comparison purposes.)

Thankyou for all the advice I appreciate it . Hopefully things will improve and I won't have the embarrassment of seeing a doctor about it .

Quick Reply

Latest