The Student Room Group

Any gap year students wanting to go to uni this year?

Reading all these posts makes me want to go this year, although I know my gap year will be fun. At least I'm going before all my uni friends go off, won't be left behind!

Anyone else out there taking a gap year? or about to start uni after having a gap year? Is it any different from just going straight there?

Scroll to see replies

hohum
Reading all these posts makes me want to go this year, although I know my gap year will be fun. At least I'm going before all my uni friends go off, won't be left behind!

Anyone else out there taking a gap year? or about to start uni after having a gap year? Is it any different from just going straight there?

i would reccomend everyone to have a gap year- it makes you appreciate everything and really want uni- instead of just going cos thats what you do!
It also makes you really want to learn and much more motivated than you would otherwise be- a break from learning is good- it makes you realise what you really want to do....

definitely take a gap year but do something constructive.....don't waste it!!

Ruthie xx
Reply 2
yeeees :smile:

i would like to go this year... but i want to reapply to cambridge more :tongue: and ive kinda made my mind up now.

but keep reading all these threads about what people are taking to uni and how theyre looking forward to it etc etc.

almost all my friends are going to uni. there's just my bf, one friend whos resitting the year, a cousin in lower 6 and a cousin taking a gap year working that will be left.

and my birthday's in november so everyone will still be at uni :frown:

oh, and ive got to get a j-o-b.... noooooo :frown: im hopefully gona try and learn a lot of first year undergrad stuff this year so i'll be more comfortable in the first year. and im gonna save every last penny i have so that i can just put the student loan into some high interest account and not need it for the first year.

anyone else who'll be working in their gap year? most people to seem be going away on far flung travelling things like backpacking in australia or building houses in africa or something. did most working people start work over the summer??? :confused:
I'm a gappie.

I started working in July, and I'll be in Brunei working at the same place until end of this year :frown: So unlike you, I will have to see all my friends up and leave! I've already had to bawl at the airport over my boyfriend... I don't know how much more of this I can take!!! lol.

Anyway, from January to June, I'm going to Australia... not to backpack though, to babysit my 4 year old cousin in Perth, volunteer at a couple of animal shelters for fun (love animals) and hopefully find time to learn how to surf!

I wish I was going to uni this year though... but oh well, my own fault I'm not!
Reply 4
I'm taking a gap year too (though it was not planned). All of my mates are going off to uni, and I feel as though I'm going to be left behind :frown: I'm trying to get a job right now to put my mind off uni. I should then have plenty of money to finance uni the following yr :smile:
Reply 5
Glad to see I'm not the only one! Went shopping with a friend today and they were buying loads of stuff for uni...GRRRRR!

Ah well, at least we can all console ourselves with the thought that they'll all be working their socks off whilst we enjoy the freshers fun next year! I have also noticed that the boys are fitter in the year below, so all is not lost!
hohum

Is it any different from just going straight there?

I think its personal preference, I saved my 'gap' year till after uni and I think I got a hell of a lot more out of it than if I was 18. I think the old addage is correct: Gap years are good if you're doing the arts and bad if you're doing the sciences.
Reply 7
hohum

yup - i know that this gap year is the best option for me in the long term, and i knwo i will enjoy it...but i can't help but feel left out when my friends talk about their accommodation and when tehy're going and stuff...

I'm sure there'll be times over the next year when i wish i'd gone straight to uni...but when i get to uni i'll be glad i took the year otu...and when i leave uni with experience already on my CV i will be extra glad! luckily tehre are lots of other gap year/sandwich students so i won't be all on my own - we're going to have our own freshers' week so we don't miss out!
Reply 8
stephx
yeeees :smile:

i would like to go this year... but i want to reapply to cambridge more :tongue: and ive kinda made my mind up now.

but keep reading all these threads about what people are taking to uni and how theyre looking forward to it etc etc.

almost all my friends are going to uni. there's just my bf, one friend whos resitting the year, a cousin in lower 6 and a cousin taking a gap year working that will be left.

and my birthday's in november so everyone will still be at uni :frown:

oh, and ive got to get a j-o-b.... noooooo :frown: im hopefully gona try and learn a lot of first year undergrad stuff this year so i'll be more comfortable in the first year. and im gonna save every last penny i have so that i can just put the student loan into some high interest account and not need it for the first year.

anyone else who'll be working in their gap year? most people to seem be going away on far flung travelling things like backpacking in australia or building houses in africa or something. did most working people start work over the summer??? :confused:

i started working in august, been here a month now and still really enjoying it - it doesn't even feel like work yet!

And as for the person that said gap years are bad for sciences - i'm doing human sciences and i'm spending my gap year working in a lab, with really really good (expensive!) equipment and getting great experience. it will give me such a headstart when i get to uni.
Reply 9
allisandro
i started working in august, been here a month now and still really enjoying it - it doesn't even feel like work yet!

And as for the person that said gap years are bad for sciences - i'm doing human sciences and i'm spending my gap year working in a lab, with really really good (expensive!) equipment and getting great experience. it will give me such a headstart when i get to uni.

oh dear , someone who's organised :frown: :tongue: have you got a deferred place or are you applying next year? it sounds like your gap year will be a real benefit :smile:

i cant seem to find anything related to maths that doesnt require a degree/experience etc. im gona have to do something normal :frown: but hopefully will try and tutor some people i know too.
Reply 10
I've just finished my gap year and I felt exactly the same as all you guys this time last year when all my mates were off to uni.

The first few weeks were really hard. Everything here was the same except the friends were gone. But eventually you get used to it, and I had a fantastic year and a great time, and now i'm looking forward to going to uni myself even more :smile:
Reply 11
stephx
oh dear , someone who's organised :frown: :tongue: have you got a deferred place or are you applying next year? it sounds like your gap year will be a real benefit :smile:

i cant seem to find anything related to maths that doesnt require a degree/experience etc. im gona have to do something normal :frown: but hopefully will try and tutor some people i know too.

i've got a deferred place for Sussex starting '05 :smile: yeah i'm going to try and get some music teaching on the side for experience - i'm hoping to teach while i'm at uni because it will be a really good way to get some cash! try the year in industry - they have various placements and might be able to find you one!
Reply 12
Heya,

I've got a deferred place for Edinburgh Uni in 05.

Yeah, its so true what everyone is saying about feeling left out because all their mates are off 2 uni! I feel soooooooo the same way!!

I was really worried about my gap year because I didn't have anything planned!

Now i've signed up the Millennium Volunteers- i'm doing loads of good work for the community (hardly have anytime off!!).
Its gonna give me loads of different experiences and as a bonus will look great on my CV :smile:

Fellow gappies- hope u have a great year :smile:
I have decided to take a gap year at the last minute. I am rather worried as I don't really have anything planned beyond January and I don't have many great ideas at the moment, although I am looking into what's left of organised gap year placements in developing countries.
Reply 14
only five days til my gap year starts - itching to get away now!

as far as I can see, taking a gap year will be fun, and university is bound to be fun, well, the first year anyway. This means we have two years of guarenteed fun...yay!
Reply 15
Have all u guys got ur uni places sorted out after ur gap year?

I've got a deferred place at Edinburgh Uni 2 do Classics :smile:
Reply 16
i'm having a gap year- an unplanned one! i don't have a place at uni for next year- i gotta reapply which is just great! my plans for the year include getting some sort of qualification in counselling- i don't remember the name!- and i have a part time job in a day nursery, i plan on getting more work exp for uni, and mayb travelling. as for wishing i was going- i wish i was more than anything in the world- not looking forward to my best friend leaving- i do have some friends having a gap year 2, but we're not really close. my best friend leaving on sat will b awful- i just know it, we cry at the sight of each other at the moment!
Reply 17
I'm looking for a full-time job to do in the gap year that'll help me survive Uni financially!
I have a gap year job paying £18,000.........only problem is, they don't know it's a gap year job! I'm so going to let something slip and then they'll fire me. :frown: I was wishing I was going to uni, until I saw a picture of the accommodation I would have been staying in if I hadn't withdrawn! (Check out the accommodation pictures thread!)
Reply 19
Bet Noone Is A Retake Tho???????

I Hate Resitting Exams!
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest

Trending

Trending