The Student Room Group

Should I do GCSE Further Maths?

Scroll to see replies

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/further-mathematics-8360/why-choose
I am doing the AQA Level 2 Further Mathematics Certificate. It has Trig, Calculus, Matrices and all the good stuff. We were all taught this in lesson though since we finished the Maths course early. (I'm in set 1 but I think the other sets finished early). I think there are only about 10ish people in my year who aren't doing further maths. It could be because I go to a grammar school though.
Original post by x.beheshta
Im not sure if we covered the same topics we did a lot of calculus, trigonometry and mechanics which required a lot of new learning, my qualification was additional maths OCR I think, maybe it depends on the exam board
Original post by Berrydo
Well my school is holding an after school club where ppl in set one can do optional gcse further maths. The problem is, I don’t really want to do it, and I’m not eager to do it either. But I feel like I have to do so bcos I’m in top set and even my friend who is in a lower set begged my teacher to let him do it and now he can. Him doing this made me feel that I need to do it too. Even though it’s optional and I don’t have to. I don’t rly want to either. What should I do?

I was almost in the exact position as you. My teacher signed me up without my permission and I didn't even like maths (though I was in top set). I didn't go to any of the lessons as I prioritised other subjects. I used a few YouTube videos two days before the exam and got a C . Not great but it allowed me to focus on my other GCSEs. My advice is don't do it if you don't want to, but if you like maths and plan to use it in the future it may help set you up. Don't focus too hard on it though, it's not that hard if you learn the basics.
Original post by Berrydo
Yes I am planning to

If you are planning on doing a-level maths then id do it. It will probably come in useful.
Reply 23
do it, its worth it in the long run bro

Quick Reply

Latest