The Student Room Group

What subjects do you wish you could have chosen and which you regret for GCSE?

Hello TSR community!
I was wondering what subjects people regret doing or want to do, because I am currently starting to choose which ones I'd go for.

Scroll to see replies

I picked art and dropped it after 2 weeks for psychology. Best decision I made in year 10 :smile:

Art will drain you from what I've seen and heard. Takes way too much time for a minor GCSE. Don't do it unless you want to do something art based in the future,
My school doesn't have pyschology but yes, you are right from what I've heard. Art is quite a heavy course, since it requires alot of course work, etc.
I didnā€™t like French very much but it was compulsory for my school so I had no choice. Tbh, I was happy with my GCSE option, didnā€™t think I would have done better with other subjects.
Reply 4
i hate ENTERPRISE i don't like btec they are just too much work
Reply 5
I took Citizenship because it was compulsory but it involved wayyy too much coursework for a subject not even that useful. If I had the choice to take more scientific based subjects such as Psychology I would!
I chose:
- Citizenship
- History
- Music
- Art
- Food Technology

I wish I didn't pick art or music. I only picked music because I play 2 instruments and I was told I would do well in it considering that i play instruments.
Music bores me. Stresses me out and i'm not doing well at it despite what other people said.
As for art, I only picked that because i like being creative and I thought it would be a good subject to do since I wanna be a makeup artist. Sadly my art skills are poor and art is a really hard subject for me. So I regret that.

Instead I wish I'd have picked another humanities subject since I do well in those. Something like Child Development or Sociology
wish I hadn't done economics wish I'd done re or business instead
Reply 8
I chose sociology - a total waste of time, never used it since and probably never well. The ones I've used the most were Home Economics (which was cooking and needlework), history and English, never had much of a use of maths, except every employer insists on it these days.
Well I didn't have a choice in not doing it, but I hate English with a passion, struggle relentlessly with it and see no point in any of it. If I had the chance (which no one ever will because it's compulsory), I would have dropped English Language and Literature and picked up History, Spanish and Further Maths - so I'd be doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, French, Spanish, Maths, Further Maths and Religious Studies.

Sorry, I'm no help as I like all my other subjects. I've heard Art, ICT, Product Design and Computing are a pain in the backside though.
Wish I dropped french and did fm or geo instead.
Original post by Nikey
Well I didn't have a choice in not doing it, but I hate English with a passion, struggle relentlessly with it and see no point in any of it. If I had the chance (which no one ever will because it's compulsory), I would have dropped English Language and Literature and picked up History, Spanish and Further Maths - so I'd be doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, French, Spanish, Maths, Further Maths and Religious Studies.

Sorry, I'm no help as I like all my other subjects. I've heard Art, ICT, Product Design and Computing are a pain in the backside though.

Thank you that helped me a lot! But I've heard doing three science is pretty hard even though I want to do it. I'm no good at physics so do you recommend doing all sciences?
Original post by Janej77
I didnā€™t like French very much but it was compulsory for my school so I had no choice. Tbh, I was happy with my GCSE option, didnā€™t think I would have done better with other subjects.

What were the subjects you chose?
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
wish I hadn't done economics wish I'd done re or business instead

I was planning to do economics. What made you not like it?
Original post by DyingWhale21
I was planning to do economics. What made you not like it?

The content just didn't interest me and was really boring. however I would suggest reading a few current articles to see if you have an interest. we also.had a really bad teacher who would pick lots of people to say answers and try and embarrass them which was terrible. I still got an A though and you might have a good teacher.
I regret doing art,I didnt get a good grade in it and I wish I done french instead.
geography+history together, wish id taken it/computing instead as a replacement for one of those options
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you that helped me a lot! But I've heard doing three science is pretty hard even though I want to do it. I'm no good at physics so do you recommend doing all sciences?

I'd definitely recommend doing all three sciences. Physics is by far my weakest science but if you put in the hard work you'll be fine - I just got an 8 on my mock (I was a 5 last year). Definitely worth it.
Hello TSR community!
I was wondering what subjects people regret doing or want to do, because I am currently starting to choose which ones I'd go for.

I definitely regret Spanish. There are so many tenses you have to include for a decent grade, not only that, but because of this new gcse system you dont get coursework, and the exams aren't just remembering an essay you wrote, its all random questions which is even more stressful.
Throughout year 10 I said I was going to drop it and never did, I wish I did.

Apart from that Im fine with my other subjects.
Hello TSR community!

I regret taking Spanish. The return on investment in terms of time spent & final mark was poor. (I got a B in it)

Quick Reply

Latest