The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

University Community

Is the area that Goldsmiths in Friendly?? I want to go to this uni but I live in a small town so it will be a huge shock in a city.
Original post by MeganKatherine
Is the area that Goldsmiths in Friendly?? I want to go to this uni but I live in a small town so it will be a huge shock in a city.

Hi Megan,

That's a good question.

Having lived in North, East and South London, Southeast London is the place that I personally feel is the most laid-back and has the strongest sense of community. It's still London, and so I expect it will be a shock if you have come from a small town. Additionally, as it's London, you need to be sensible, although I have never had any trouble in the four years I have lived here.

Some people feel, that because of the size of the place, you need to be more proactive in seeking out the kind of people and activities you enjoy. The good thing is there are a lot of opportunities if you make an effort to seek out events and gatherings, both in the university and out in the community. Some people find after the initial shock of being in a big city that it can be liberating.

It might be worth adding, that although I work at Goldsmiths, I've been a resident of New Cross and Brockley for much longer, and am happy to live here and consider it my home.

If you've got any more queries/concerns about New Cross or Southeast London I'll be happy to answer them. :biggrin:
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending