The Student Room Group

Halogen boiling point qn

Could someone explain the answer it’s from aqa specimen 2018 the ans is +30 to +120
C541DBCB-B378-4075-B719-CD3DEFD5D94B.jpg.jpeg3F8D6C12-4DBE-4D9E-BFEE-C244ED361D96.jpg.jpeg
the question was predict the boiling point of bromine the MS says+30 to +120 I wrote 149 ( wrong answer) How do i do the calculation?
Reply 3
Original post by Laboromniavincit
the question was predict the boiling point of bromine the MS says+30 to +120 I wrote 149 ( wrong answer) How do i do the calculation?

Hello,
The question is about predicting, so there is no method to arrive at the final answer. You have to see the trend of the halogens down the group. in this case it is increasing. See the depth of the increase and then use the difference to find the value for bromine. From F to Cl it is approximately 150. Add 150 to Cl value you should get 115 which is in the range of 30 to 120. But I would also suggest you to use a lower value since the depth of increase is decreasing slowly. Iodine has 184. Here the difference is so small, so decrease the value of Br at least to 30. You should get 85 which is the perfect answer
Original post by cpocha1
Hello,
The question is about predicting, so there is no method to arrive at the final answer. You have to see the trend of the halogens down the group. in this case it is increasing. See the depth of the increase and then use the difference to find the value for bromine. From F to Cl it is approximately 150. Add 150 to Cl value you should get 115 which is in the range of 30 to 120. But I would also suggest you to use a lower value since the depth of increase is decreasing slowly. Iodine has 184. Here the difference is so small, so decrease the value of Br at least to 30. You should get 85 which is the perfect answer

THANKS !!!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Laboromniavincit
THANKS !!!!!!

can I know a bit about u?
cpocha1, talking a load of rubbish once again
I am in yr 10 and want to hv good score in STEM subjects but at the moment feeling bit overwhelmed with new topics .. why do you ask?
Original post by Jack Scholeyyyy
cpocha1, talking a load of rubbish once again

his answer is succint with regards to query , is it not?

Quick Reply

Latest