The Student Room Group

feel like a failure, missed a lot of things at the final hurdle

Just received my final dissertation grade for my master's, only 60%, which lowers down my final average mark to 67%. I am devastated because I thought I had done very well.

History always repeats itself. I missed 1st class for my bachelor's by 1 mark, and I failed to get three great internship opportunities in the final interviews, which normally had 90% pass rate. I always failed when I could almost get it.

I know 2:1 or merit is still a good grade, but I am an international student. Not able to speak English as well as native speakers, I have to be much better than native speakers in academics to get a job or get into a decent phd programme.

I am waiting for an internview with one of my dream firms, in the meantime, I am in the progress of applying for PhD programme. But I don't expect any positive outcome. This moment all the pressue built up in the past four years bursts out of my mind and I can't go to sleep. I am scared of telling my mom about my grade because I promised her I would get a distinction when I failed to get a first one year ago.
Original post by AshinDevour
Just received my final dissertation grade for my master's, only 60%, which lowers down my final average mark to 67%. I am devastated because I thought I had done very well.

History always repeats itself. I missed 1st class for my bachelor's by 1 mark, and I failed to get three great internship opportunities in the final interviews, which normally had 90% pass rate. I always failed when I could almost get it.

I know 2:1 or merit is still a good grade, but I am an international student. Not able to speak English as well as native speakers, I have to be much better than native speakers in academics to get a job or get into a decent phd programme.

I am waiting for an internview with one of my dream firms, in the meantime, I am in the progress of applying for PhD programme. But I don't expect any positive outcome. This moment all the pressue built up in the past four years bursts out of my mind and I can't go to sleep. I am scared of telling my mom about my grade because I promised her I would get a distinction when I failed to get a first one year ago.

It's always the opposite with me. When I'm convinced I can't do something, I succeed. When I think I've done badly, I pass. When I think I've done so badly that I can't go on, it's then that I discover I have excelled.

Quick Reply

Latest