The Student Room Group

Need advice on my university applications- Please help!!!

Hello everyone,

I'm currently an A level student. I would like to do medicine after I finish my A levels. I am a bit worried about getting accepted at a university due to my bad IGCSE Grades (1A 1B 4C). I have been working hard the past 1.5 years and I am currently predicted for A*AB in (Biology, Chemistry and Physics).

These are some of my questions:
1) Is there a fair chance for me to get into a medical course at a university in the UK or atleast in Europe?
2) What are the things I can do other than grades that improve my applications?
3) Which are the universities I should consider applying to?

Thank you all for your time.

- Steven

Reply 1
Original post by Volibear
1) Sure, what are your GCSE grades in?
2) Have work experience, do well in the entrance exams, do well in your interview, write a good personal statement, apply strategically.
3) Not ones that place heavy emphasis on GCSE grades. Go for ones you have a chance of getting an offer from, have the teaching style you like, are in areas you like/can afford etc.

A Level Predicted Grades:
A* in Biology
A in Chemistry
B in Physics

AS Level:
A in Biology
A in Chemistry
B in Physics

IGCSE:
A in English
B in IT
C in Math
C in Chem
C in Physics
C in Biology
Original post by stevenza108
A Level Predicted Grades:
A* in Biology
A in Chemistry
B in Physics

AS Level:
A in Biology
A in Chemistry
B in Physics

IGCSE:
A in English
B in IT
C in Math
C in Chem
C in Physics
C in Biology

There are lots of unis across the UK that offer Medicine. Some have higher offers or lower offers than others.
Some who accept your gcse results may be in cities farther than you.
So you would probably have to travel or live in the city as Medicine is competitive.
Research the A TO B SCHEME!
Hope it helps.
Reply 3
Original post by Beautystyle12
There are lots of unis across the UK that offer Medicine. Some have higher offers or lower offers than others.
Some who accept your gcse results may be in cities farther than you.
So you would probably have to travel or live in the city as Medicine is competitive.
Research the A TO B SCHEME!
Hope it helps.

I'm an international student, I wouldn't mind moving to another city/country :smile:
Realistically the UK is out of reach for you. Your GCSEs would prove a struggle as a UK student but as an international, the competition would be too great. Combined with that B prediction (you need at least AAA ) I just don't think there would be anywhere you would realistically stand a chance. As an international student, you are competing for a very small proportion of the available slots. Realistically there will just be far more students with better grades.

If you were a UK student I would recommend looking at Foundation courses, but I have a feeling they won't take international students (there is often certain stipulations about coming from a deprived background in the UK).

Europe is still an option though. Bulgaria etc. But I don't know enough about it to offer any more specific advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending