The Student Room Group

Post graduate loan and interruptions

Hi there

I have a query regarding my postgraduate loan that I obtained for a part-time course five years ago.

After completing the first year of my course, unfortunately, due to unforeseen medical complications I had to pause my studies. I have paused my course for 4 years, I want to return to my course this year.

Upon researching, I came across the information that postgraduate loans may not resume after a two-year pause. I wanted to confirm if my understanding is accurate. Given my personal circumstances, which led to the extended pause, I'm wondering if there's a possibility to resume my existing postgraduate loan for the second year of my course.

Or do I need to apply for a second loan and, if a second postgraduate loan is necessary, could it cover the expenses for my second year?

I appreciate your time and assistance in clarifying this matter for me. Any advice or guidance would be immensely helpful.

Thank you.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by deserving-keep
Hi there

I have a query regarding my postgraduate loan that I obtained for a part-time course five years ago.

After completing the first year of my course, unfortunately, due to unforeseen medical complications I had to pause my studies. I have paused my course for 4 years, I want to return to my course this year.

Upon researching, I came across the information that postgraduate loans may not resume after a two-year pause. I wanted to confirm if my understanding is accurate. Given my personal circumstances, which led to the extended pause, I'm wondering if there's a possibility to resume my existing postgraduate loan for the second year of my course.

Or do I need to apply for a second loan and, if a second postgraduate loan is necessary, could it cover the expenses for my second year?

I appreciate your time and assistance in clarifying this matter for me. Any advice or guidance would be immensely helpful.

Thank you.
Hi there,

Can you confirm the name of the course you're studying and are you looking to return to the same course? Thanks, Jason
Hi Jason,
thank you for your quick response, my course is postgraduate masters degree in Human Rights, I’m looking forward in returning to the same course to complete it.

I look forward to your reply
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi Jason,
thank you for your quick response, my course is postgraduate masters degree in Human Rights, I’m looking forward in returning to the same course to complete it.

I look forward to your reply

Hi there,

Thanks, in this case you'll need to make an application for a new Masters Loan, and we'll also need to see evidence that you had Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for not completing the course the first time.

Last of all, when you plan to return to study?

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Thanks, in this case you'll need to make an application for a new Masters Loan, and we'll also need to see evidence that you had Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for not completing the course the first time.

Last of all, when you plan to return to study?

Thanks, Graeme

Dear Graeme

Thanks for the reply, so I need to make a new application for an existing course, with CPR evidence attached? Would I be getting a new loan or will it be the pre existing loan resuming? I have to check with the university again and see if it’s possible to resume this January.

Thank you again for answering my questions
Dear Graeme

Thanks for the reply, so I need to make a new application for an existing course, with CPR evidence attached? Would I be getting a new loan or will it be the pre existing loan resuming? I have to check with the university again and see if it’s possible to resume this January.

Thank you again for answering my questions

Hi there,

Yes, you can upload the evidence along with the application. If you check with the university regarding returning. Please also note applications can take 6 weeks to process. Thanks, Jason
Hi Jason 👋🏻

Thanks for the response, do I need to post the application to you, because I’m resuming my previous course, also would it count as a whole new loan? do I need to do anything else.so that I won’t miss any steps.

Thanks again Jason
Hi Jason 👋🏻

Thanks for the response, do I need to post the application to you, because I’m resuming my previous course, also would it count as a whole new loan? do I need to do anything else.so that I won’t miss any steps.

Thanks again Jason

Hi there, Please send the evidence of the CPR via post. Your university will need to send us a Resumption Notification for the application to be reinstated. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending