The Student Room Group

Which Medical School ?

Hi,

I'm currently on a gap year and aiming to apply for medicine for 2024 entry. These are my stats:

GCSCs: 999887777
A Levels: 3 As including Biology & Chemistry (achieved)
Work Experience: vaccination centre, children's camps, GP surgery, dispensary unit, hospital wards, online information courses.
UCAT 2670 Band 2: VR 570, DM 710, QR 720, AR 670

Based on my research and interest I'm looking at:

Birmingham (eligible for contextual)
Kent & Medway
Liverpool
Manchester
Leeds

I'd appreciate any advice on my suggestions or any others I should be looking at. Many thanks in advance.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by bhemmings
Hi,

I'm currently on a gap year and aiming to apply for medicine for 2024 entry. These are my stats:

Work Experience: vaccination centre, children's camps, GP surgery, dispensary unit, hospital wards, online information courses.

Kent & Medway
Liverpool
Manchester
Leeds

I'd appreciate any advice on my suggestions or any others I should be looking at. Many thanks in advance.

manchester and leeds would be risky. liverpool may be ok, but cutoff was 2660 last year. kmms is good if you performed well at a level compared to your school. look at sunderland, if you have lots of hours of volunteering/work in a caring or helping capacity. what is your polar quintile?
Hi,

Kent & Medway
Liverpool
Manchester
Leeds

Hi @bhemmings,

I hope you're keeping well. :smile:

Let me just start this off by saying that you have an outstanding application! I have absolute confidence that you'll have no trouble in finding a great university to study at! :biggrin:
Personally, I would stop looking since you've already stuck gold! :wink:

Jokes aside, we truly would love to see you here at our University! I can tell you with absolute certainty that you would be a phenomenal member of our medical school community, and to our university as a whole! Honestly, all the universities on your list are really good choices, and any of them would be incredibly lucky to have you!

Now, in my humble opinion, the absolute best way to decide which university to apply to is by visiting their campus for open days or campus tours and interacting with the staff and students there.
Which brings me to Kent. What a coincidence! We'll have open days on the 7th of October for Medway and the 14th of October for Canterbury campus, both of which we'd love to invite you to! This is a great opportunity to learn more about our medical school and to meet us, but also to ask more questions which can help you find what's best for you. At the end of the day, we want to help you and see you succeed - even if you don't join us! I can't stress enough though that this is a great chance to learn more about what you want in a university! So we do hope you take us up on our invitation. :biggrin:

We look forward to seeing and hearing from you!

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @bhemmings,

I hope you're keeping well. :smile:

Let me just start this off by saying that you have an outstanding application! I have absolute confidence that you'll have no trouble in finding a great university to study at! :biggrin:

You need to stop telling people this for medicine - it is simply not the case and the majority of applicants get no offers. I get you want to be encouraging, but it does nobody any favours if official reps suggest a medicine offer is fairly well guaranteed.

What would be helpful, is if you got some concrete information on how KMMS shortlist applicants, how there "contextualisation for all works" and how applicants can realistically assess their chances of an interview?
Hi,

Kent & Medway
Liverpool
Manchester
Leeds

Hi there,

Great to hear that you are applying for the University of Liverpool, great choice!

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the city or the University.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by reubenn05
manchester and leeds would be risky. liverpool may be ok, but cutoff was 2660 last year. kmms is good if you performed well at a level compared to your school. look at sunderland, if you have lots of hours of volunteering/work in a caring or helping capacity. what is your polar quintile?

Thanks for your reply. Do you consider Leeds risky because of the change from BMAT to UCAT or are they simply expected to have a high cutoff threshhold?
Thanks for your reply. Do you consider Leeds risky because of the change from BMAT to UCAT or are they simply expected to have a high cutoff threshhold?

leeds is likely to be gcse heavy - they score top 8 gcses, and i wouldn't advise applying there without max gcse points and around a 2750+ ucat, similar to leicester's cutoff last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending