The Student Room Group

Masters degree is making me feel depressed

Hi

I have been having a difficult time for the past few years as I have struggled to make the transition from university to adulthood. I graduated in 2015 and received a first class degree in physics. I was very happy with my results as I had put a lot of work in and actually enjoyed my studied. Since graduating however my life has fallen apart for various reasons. I have struggled to get any kind of employment and have been in and out of retail or temporary office work. I reached the final stage of a few graduate schemes, but the answer from them was always "no". I've lost touch with all of my friends as some have moved away whilst others got children and had partners. They became very distant from me.

This year I was given a place on a masters degree in nuclear science. I should preface this by saying that getting a place on a masters degree is not an achievement. Anyone can enroll on a masters degree as long as you have a decent undergraduate result. The real issue is paying for it. This particular course offered me a partial bursary, so I felt compelled to go for it. I enjoyed the nuclear module during my undergraduate course so I thought it would be ok. So far I have hated almost every second of this course. It is mostly by distance learning so I am not attending lectures full time and I get no help with assignments. I am due to hand in 4 assignments in January and sit 4 exams, do the same in June and then do a summer placement. I am finding the work very difficult and because there is no help I'm spending literally days stuck on particular questions. The calculations are difficult to grasp and today I got so angry I smashed my desk. The obvious answer is to quit but it's not as simple as that. The course could potentially lead to a job (it seems no one wants to work in nuclear) and I don't know what else I can do. I feel like I am under a lot of pressure. I still live at home, have no friends, no partner and no life. This course is the only thing I have going for me and possibly the only hope of ever getting a job.

I feel utterly stuck. I also feel like the only graduate who is struggling to get work. Please don't tell me to see my GP as I have done that and there is only so much I can tell them without getting sectioned.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by physgraduate
Hi

I have been having a difficult time for the past few years as I have struggled to make the transition from university to adulthood. I graduated in 2015 and received a first class degree in physics. I was very happy with my results as I had put a lot of work in and actually enjoyed my studied. Since graduating however my life has fallen apart for various reasons. I have struggled to get any kind of employment and have been in and out of retail or temporary office work. I reached the final stage of a few graduate schemes, but the answer from them was always "no". I've lost touch with all of my friends as some have moved away whilst others got children and had partners. They became very distant from me.

This year I was given a place on a masters degree in nuclear science. I should preface this by saying that getting a place on a masters degree is not an achievement. Anyone can enroll on a masters degree as long as you have a decent undergraduate result. The real issue is paying for it. This particular course offered me a partial bursary, so I felt compelled to go for it. I enjoyed the nuclear module during my undergraduate course so I thought it would be ok. So far I have hated almost every second of this course. It is mostly by distance learning so I am not attending lectures full time and I get no help with assignments. I am due to hand in 4 assignments in January and sit 4 exams, do the same in June and then do a summer placement. I am finding the work very difficult and because there is no help I'm spending literally days stuck on particular questions. The calculations are difficult to grasp and today I got so angry I smashed my desk. The obvious answer is to quit but it's not as simple as that. The course could potentially lead to a job (it seems no one wants to work in nuclear) and I don't know what else I can do. I feel like I am under a lot of pressure. I still live at home, have no friends, no partner and no life. This course is the only thing I have going for me and possibly the only hope of ever getting a job.

I feel utterly stuck. I also feel like the only graduate who is struggling to get work. Please don't tell me to see my GP as I have done that and there is only so much I can tell them without getting sectioned.

I’m sorry to hear that. I know that if you don’t earn up to a certain amount per year, then you don’t have to pay off your debt so don’t worry about paying your degree for now. To help solve the calculations, maybe reach to your lecturer and ask for help, or use YouTube videos, OR use TSR to ask someone to help you.

Even though I’m just a yr13 a level student, I feel like you’re not the only graduate struggling to find work.
Original post by physgraduate
Hi

I can feel the pain in your post, I am sorry you are going through a rocky moment. I have/going through something similar.

Firstly I would like to point out that seeing your GP and informing them you're struggling at the moment, with low mood etc will not result in being section, please do not fear that. I know this through personal experience, also I have family whom are GP's and psychiatrist. Most commonly they'll hand you a generic antidepressant prescription, or and refer you to your local mental health clinic. You will sit with a psychiatrist and go through your problems etc. They cant section you, unless you appear to be a serious risk to yourself and others beyond reasonable doubt. I admitted a lot whilst at my appointment, I also feared being section. Never happened.

Personally I would recommend speaking to my local GP, request to see a psychiatrist. They may be able to provide free therapy. Usually 6-12 sessions. You may need something just to get you over this hurdle.

I personally went through private therapy. Took up a new hobby. An important aspect is being active. Release serotonin, dopamine. Take Vitamin D supplements etc. Look after yourself. Rest, heal.

Quick Reply

Latest