The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough or Lincoln ?

I have sent my UCAS application, however I have 14 days if I want to change my uni options. I am happy with my 4 unis however I am thinking of changing Loughborough University to Lincoln University or Hertfordshire University. My reason for this is that I visited Lincoln and Herts and I really liked them however I am aware that Loughborough is one of the best unis in the uk.
Does anyone know anything about the areas, the unis and their criminology departments?
My advice would be research into the individual courses and see which looks better for you! And which place is the one you would enjoy most! Don't choose because of prestige, it does not guarantee happiness!
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Until you visit Loughborough it'll be hard for you to compare. Then there's knowing where else you've applied, what grades you expect, stuff like that. I haven't been to Lincoln or Herts but as a second year at lboro I'm having a great time here. And to a degree what you look for depends what kind of person you are. You hear night life mentioned a lot on TSR but there are plenty of people at uni who don't go out often enough for it to matter too much. I know people who go out twice a week and they seem to like it. But you may be the kind of person who spends a lot of time taking part in societies, sports clubs, going to the gym, going to the pub or just hanging out with friends. Bear that in mind. Don't forget you have a life at uni; course is important but you're also spending 3+ years at uni, you'll meet loads of people and should have an amazing time.

I'll try to speak you through this from the perspective of someone who has had to apply to university more than once due to health problems. The first part of the process is making your 5 choices; here you pick universities for your course - course content(modules), how it's assessed(exams, courseworks, group work etc), the entry tariff(it should be challenging but not too challenging and this is probably the best way to gauge it), whether they offer placements or study abroad if that's what you want. At this point there should be a few that excite you for that reason. You can get an idea for some other aspects but there's not much you can tell without visiting. After that you'll get your offers, that may narrow down your choices a little. At this point you should take your time to go and see the universities in person, feel them out. See if you can see yourself going to lectures there. Find out what the selection of societies and sports clubs is like, how good they are. Accommodation is worth looking into but unless it's dire I wouldn't worry too much. It's rarely that good and you'll only be there a year until you find a house with friends you meet. Facilities can be important, such as library, the gym, other sports facilities. If you can I would also recommend trying to check the town out, the local supermarket, have a look around the student areas if you can, grab a bite to eat. I suppose I should give a mention to night life but I'm not sure you can tell much until you can experience it. This should all give you a feel for where you really want to go. I would imagine by then you'd have your firm and insurance.

Now, regarding Loughborough, we're great for sports. Regardless of ability you can take part. I feel like our passion for sport bleeds over into other parts of life in lboro. Obv we have good sport facilities. If you're into sport or want to get into sport I'd highly recommend bearing that in mind. I like the campus. I've seen better, I've seen worse. It's good. Accommodation is fine, library's good. I prefer the computer labs to study personally. It's a town so it doesn't quite have a city vibe but it's a nice area. Sainsburys and Tescos are both close. Number of pubs around. Spoons, McD, KFC, coffee places, cineworld, a lot of the retailers you'd want. There are a few things missing. We're close to Nottingham and Leicester though.
Reply 3
Original post by Jasmine2708
My advice would be research into the individual courses and see which looks better for you! And which place is the one you would enjoy most! Don't choose because of prestige, it does not guarantee happiness!

Thanks for your reply, I will have to research it more in order to make the best decision. 😊
Reply 4
Original post by roflcopter555
(I live in Lincoln and I'm most likely going to accept my Loughborough offer)

Nightlife: Loughborough > Lincoln
University Quality: Loughborough > Lincoln

Thanks for replying, how comes you have decided to leave Lincoln ?
Reply 5
Original post by alexs2602
Until you visit Loughborough it'll be hard for you to compare. Then there's knowing where else you've applied, what grades you expect, stuff like that. I haven't been to Lincoln or Herts but as a second year at lboro I'm having a great time here. And to a degree what you look for depends what kind of person you are. You hear night life mentioned a lot on TSR but there are plenty of people at uni who don't go out often enough for it to matter too much. I know people who go out twice a week and they seem to like it. But you may be the kind of person who spends a lot of time taking part in societies, sports clubs, going to the gym, going to the pub or just hanging out with friends. Bear that in mind. Don't forget you have a life at uni; course is important but you're also spending 3+ years at uni, you'll meet loads of people and should have an amazing time.

I'll try to speak you through this from the perspective of someone who has had to apply to university more than once due to health problems. The first part of the process is making your 5 choices; here you pick universities for your course - course content(modules), how it's assessed(exams, courseworks, group work etc), the entry tariff(it should be challenging but not too challenging and this is probably the best way to gauge it), whether they offer placements or study abroad if that's what you want. At this point there should be a few that excite you for that reason. You can get an idea for some other aspects but there's not much you can tell without visiting. After that you'll get your offers, that may narrow down your choices a little. At this point you should take your time to go and see the universities in person, feel them out. See if you can see yourself going to lectures there. Find out what the selection of societies and sports clubs is like, how good they are. Accommodation is worth looking into but unless it's dire I wouldn't worry too much. It's rarely that good and you'll only be there a year until you find a house with friends you meet. Facilities can be important, such as library, the gym, other sports facilities. If you can I would also recommend trying to check the town out, the local supermarket, have a look around the student areas if you can, grab a bite to eat. I suppose I should give a mention to night life but I'm not sure you can tell much until you can experience it. This should all give you a feel for where you really want to go. I would imagine by then you'd have your firm and insurance.

Now, regarding Loughborough, we're great for sports. Regardless of ability you can take part. I feel like our passion for sport bleeds over into other parts of life in lboro. Obv we have good sport facilities. If you're into sport or want to get into sport I'd highly recommend bearing that in mind. I like the campus. I've seen better, I've seen worse. It's good. Accommodation is fine, library's good. I prefer the computer labs to study personally. It's a town so it doesn't quite have a city vibe but it's a nice area. Sainsburys and Tescos are both close. Number of pubs around. Spoons, McD, KFC, coffee places, cineworld, a lot of the retailers you'd want. There are a few things missing. We're close to Nottingham and Leicester though.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to visit Loughborough as it was a last minute decision to include it in my application. I’m not that into sports, but are there any other societies that the uni is known for, or any that student seem to be enjoying ? One thing that attracted me to lboro, despite it being in the top 10, was the paid salaried work teaching English in another country. Do you know anything about that ?
Is this a joke?
Reply 7
Original post by Skyewoods
Is this a joke?

What’s the issue?
Original post by Eva Alex
What’s the issue?

It's like comparing truffles with a banana
Reply 9
Original post by Skyewoods
It's like comparing truffles with a banana

Okay, so which one would you say is better and why?
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to visit Loughborough as it was a last minute decision to include it in my application. I’m not that into sports, but are there any other societies that the uni is known for, or any that student seem to be enjoying ? One thing that attracted me to lboro, despite it being in the top 10, was the paid salaried work teaching English in another country. Do you know anything about that ?

Hi Eva Alex
It's a real shame you've not had chance to visit here - would make it easier to decide. If you like a campus environment - we've got one of the best campuses in the UK and most halls are on campus, so you're never very far from anything.

In terms of courses - you'll have to do a comparison and decide which suits you the best in terms of career aspirations. We have excellent links with industry and every undergrad course offers a placement year.

Yes we are well known for sport - but there is so much more to Loughborough. Have a look here for some society info https://www.lsu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/

Good luck with your decision
Vicky
dont rely on the rankings of universities. dont even take them into consideration. research the unis more and decide where you will be happiest and perform at your best.

Ive had numerous arguments with my dad about which university i want to go to. he wants me to go to Bath since its 2nd for psychology and i want to got Royal Holloway which is top 30 i believe. he basis the argument on the idea that i wont get any jobs because they want the people in top universities but i fell in love with the uni so i dont care. my dad doesnt realise that my aunt applied for a job at my school and didnt get the job despite having studied the subject at oxford university and teachers training at UCL when the person who got the job went to a uni ive never heard of (st marys???) and had RH as his top choice but didnt get the grades to go. that there is an example of just how much the university you go to doesnt matter later in life.

my brother currently goes to lincoln and loves it there. it was his insurance but im pretty sure he only had UEA as his firm as the school forced him to put a higher up uni that even wanted more than he was predict (why they offered him a place i dont know). he loves the city, he loves the nightlife and he loves the uni and his course (psychology with forensic psychology). having seen the university i personally didnt get a feel for it and felt it was a bit all over the place and didnt seem like a proper campus which is what i look for in unis im going to apply to. i applied for Loughborough and have it as insurance just in case i decide last minute to decline my uncon. i personal prefered loughborough to lincoln but havent really seen anything other than the uni whereas with lincoln ive been around the city etc due to visiting my brother.

it all just comes down to what you prefer and where you think you will do best.

good luck with everything!
Thanks for replying, how comes you have decided to leave Lincoln ?

I spoke to a friend who went to Loughborough and essentially said from first-hand experience that its better than Lincoln in almost every way. I also want to use my grades to get the best facilities possible and Loughborough > Lincoln in pretty much all categories.
I have sent my UCAS application, however I have 14 days if I want to change my uni options. I am happy with my 4 unis however I am thinking of changing Loughborough University to Lincoln University or Hertfordshire University. My reason for this is that I visited Lincoln and Herts and I really liked them however I am aware that Loughborough is one of the best unis in the uk.
Does anyone know anything about the areas, the unis and their criminology departments?

Hey there! Thank you for keeping UH in your considerations!

It's great you've been able to visit Herts and Lincoln--if at all possible, I would echo the other commenters and see if you can visit Loughborough as it's such an important part of picking your top choices!

I've been at Herts for four years now, and I have to say that as I'm looking at postgraduate opportunities, I'm appreciating more and more the area that Herts is. Hatfield has so many immediate convienences--the campus itself with tons of cafes and cosy hangout areas, the surrounding town with so many retailers nearby (your typical Spoons and McDs and Nandoes, but also Gap and Next and Nike and Odeon adn so much more), and the really convienent links to nearby St. Albans and Welwyn Garden City (both very picturesque, within 20 minutes, with tons more retail and parks and things to do), and of course London in 20 minutes from the train station.

The campuses are also being constantly improved for students, and the Uni and SU very keen to improve student experience (an attitude that not every University has). There's so much you can get involved in at the Uni whilst here, from the various societies to volunteering and mentoring opportunities, to the pubs and social spaces around campus.

If you have any specific questions about anything to do with Herts, please let me know!
Hi @Eva Alex

You've posted a visitor message asking about 2018 modules.
Have a look here on our UG2018 prospectus for more info:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/sociology-criminology/

You might also find the Student Life section useful http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/student-life/

Hope that helps
Vicky
Don't change Loughborough for Herts - seriously, Hatfield is a dump, and not somewhere you want to be spending 3-4 years of your life.

(Speaking as someone who spent a lot of time in Hatfield growing up)
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey,I feel like I’m in a pretty good position to help you here because I spent a lot of time in Lincoln growing up (I went to a Lincolnshire school), applied to Lincoln and ended up attending Loughborough with Lincoln as my insurance.
Going to Loughborough has been the best decision of my life. I am doing a sports course, so my bias for sport is evident, but I too found the Lincoln campus really welcoming and homely. At one stage during A Levels, partly due to stress, I was going to accept my unconditional and attend Lincoln. This would’ve taken a lot of exam stress away from me.
However, I’ve found Loughborough to be incredible as a community (whether you’re into sport or not), has fun nightlife, and is supportive for both physical and mental health issues. Facilities are good and my hall (Falkner Eggington) is extremely friendly and great value given it’s the cheapest hall on campus. I feel like I’ve got a much more well rounded experience by coming to Loughborough, especially as I’m not living at home like I would’ve at Lincoln.
Lincoln is a nice city, but Loughborough is perfectly adequate as a town (people told me it’s a dump; it’s really an upgrade from a lot of Lincolnshire towns!) and has the kinds of shops you need as a student. If you need a bit more, Nottingham and Leicester aren’t far away and there’s direct trains to and from Lincoln should you want to go home.
Loughborough really does feel like my new home now and it’s a quality university. Although I would say not to let reputation sway you, Loughborough definitely has a lot of opportunities in terms of extra careers support and societies. I’ve even just started a baking and cooking society at Loughborough should you want to join. ;-)
Take the leap and pick Loughborough. It’s got so much to do - you won’t regret going beyond your home comfort zone.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ashleighp
Hey,I feel like I’m in a pretty good position to help you here because I spent a lot of time in Lincoln growing up (I went to a Lincolnshire school), applied to Lincoln and ended up attending Loughborough with Lincoln as my insurance.
Going to Loughborough has been the best decision of my life.

Great to hear you're having a great time at Loughborough :smile:
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending