The Student Room Group

Can I choose my A-levels after getting my gcse results back?

Ok, I feel like this is a dumb question, but the thing is, I am currently in Year 11 and have 5/6 months untill I do my actual GCSEs exams, and my school is telling me to choose now my A-levels. But, I am still not sure though, idk what I want to do with my life because I do want to go to university (I came to that conclusion in 2016), but I still don't know what course or even what field! So, I need more time to come to the conclusion of what field I wanna do in uni, so I feel like I still can't choose any A-levels (or can I change? but that would make me look even more indecise, idk really).

So, my final question is, can I choose my a-levels after getting my gcse results back (because I think that by time I'll have researched about most fields and come to the decision of which one would be more suitable and likeable for myself), or what do you think?
Reply 1
yeh you can change after results day even some 6 forms you can change your course within the first two weeks if you dont like it.
Reply 2
Original post by k0zaf
yeh you can change after results day even some 6 forms you can change your course within the first two weeks if you dont like it.

THANKS, I was so anxious for nothing really ahahah
you can definitely change don't worry :smile:
This really shouldn't be a problem at all.
Every year schools deal with students wanting to change their subjects, or even drop them.
Schools are usually more than happy to facilitate this.

What I would say is do subjects that generally interest you, and if you need it for your course choice at uni then that's also a reasonable guide.
Don't do a subject just because you achieved a good grade in GCSE and because of this you think you'll do well at A-Levels (admittedly there is a correlation for this) because A-Levels is a completely different ball park. It's best to stick to what you will enjoy studying because a lot of commitment is needed for A-Levels so it's best when you are doing something you want to, not because you feel you need/have to.

As they say, 'hard work beats ability when ability doesn't work hard'.

Good luck for your GCSEs and A-Levels!

Quick Reply

Latest