The Student Room Group

would i be able to do medicine ?

Hi, my name is Irrelevant, and I have a keen interest in medicine. Since childhood, I’ve harbored a strong desire to pursue a career in this field. I was born in London, but during my fourth year, I had the opportunity to study in two other countries. The educational systems there were quite different from the UK system. Upon returning to the UK three months before the COVID pandemic hit, I faced challenges with adjusting to English and fitting in. The pandemic caught us all off guard, lasting for a prolonged two years. Unfortunately, I didn’t receive much support from my teachers during this time.
My GCSE grades were disappointing. While I achieved a combined science grade of 6 (5 in Maths), my English Language and Literature scores were 4 and 4, respectively. The rest of my grades ranged from 3s to 2s. Despite these setbacks, I applied to sixth forms and colleges, only to face rejection when seeking to study A-levels. As a result, I spent three months studying applied science. However, the teaching quality at the college was subpar, and my friend, who was also studying applied science, eventually switched to a different college due to similar challenges.
[start]I then made a pivotal decision: I switched to a college offering engineering courses. The curriculum was fascinating, heavily focused on mathematics, physics, research, and practical applications. This engineering program was equivalent to three A-levels, and I am predicted to achieve D D D* grades.
Despite my detour into engineering, my passion for medicine remains unwavering. I am currently self-studying A-level biology and chemistry, with plans to sit the exams in the summer of 2025. I’ve completed the content and am now actively practicing through practicals and past papers. Given my strong performance in mocks, where I consistently scored full marks or just one grade below, I wonder if I still have a chance to get into a medical university. Could you please guide me on the best universities for medicine? 🌟
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by essaramla
hi my names is irrelvant but im very intreted in medicine ive always wanted to do medcine i was born in london however in year 4 i was taken to 2 other countries and did boarding school there it was a very differnt sytem differnet from uk education system i then returned to the uk 3 months before the covid and i struggled with english at that time adjusting etc trying to fit in took the whole of the 3 months obvioulsy we was not prepared for the long 2 year long pandemic i also didnt get much suport from the teachers anyhow i got low gsces grades i was very disapointed my highest was combined scince at 6,5 and maths at 5,5 and english both lit and lan at 4,4 the rest were 3s and 2s also when i applied for the sicth forms and colleges they rejected me to study alavels so i did 3 months of applied scince the teachers at the college were rubish and did not kn ow how to teach my friend who at that time also did applied scince changed to another collge and moved it was hard so i switched to another college for engineering it was very intresting it was very heavy maths and physics research and practical based it was worth 3 alavels and im predicted d* d* D* but my love for medicine has not died yet and so i self study alavel biology and chemistry planning to sit it in 2025 summer and ive actaully finished the content and now doing practicals and past papaers all the tests ive done mocks ive gotten at least full marks or just 1 grade off will i still be able to get in to medicine univerity and what univerity is the best please help me

Hi! I think it's great that you have an ambition to study medicine. However, it's important to keep in mind that medicine is a highly competitive field, and most applicants will have excellent grades, including in their GCSEs. Some universities place a lot of value on GCSE results, so it's important to do your best in these exams. If you don't do as well as you'd hoped, you can always resit your GCSEs or A-levels to improve your grades and increase your chances of getting into medical school.
Reply 2
Original post by Alm_xo
Hi! I think it's great that you have an ambition to study medicine. However, it's important to keep in mind that medicine is a highly competitive field, and most applicants will have excellent grades, including in their GCSEs. Some universities place a lot of value on GCSE results, so it's important to do your best in these exams. If you don't do as well as you'd hoped, you can always resit your GCSEs or A-levels to improve your grades and increase your chances of getting into medical school.

if i get 2 a stars would i still be able to get in and perhaps if i get a very good score in bmat and ucat
Reply 3
Hi, my name is Irrelevant, and I have a keen interest in medicine. Since childhood, I’ve harbored a strong desire to pursue a career in this field. I was born in London, but during my fourth year, I had the opportunity to study in two other countries. The educational systems there were quite different from the UK system. Upon returning to the UK three months before the COVID pandemic hit, I faced challenges with adjusting to English and fitting in. The pandemic caught us all off guard, lasting for a prolonged two years. Unfortunately, I didn’t receive much support from my teachers during this time.
[start]My GCSE grades were disappointing. While I achieved a combined science grade of 6 (5 in Maths), my English Language and Literature scores were 4 and 4, respectively. The rest of my grades ranged from 3s to 2s. Despite these setbacks, I applied to sixth forms and colleges, only to face rejection when seeking to study A-levels. As a result, I spent three months studying applied science. However, the teaching quality at the college was subpar, and my friend, who was also studying applied science, eventually switched to a different college due to similar challenges.[/start]
[start]I then made a pivotal decision: I switched to a college offering engineering courses. The curriculum was fascinating, heavily focused on mathematics, physics, research, and practical applications. This engineering program was equivalent to three A-levels, and I am predicted to achieve D D D* grades.[/start]
[start]Despite my detour into engineering, my passion for medicine remains unwavering. I am currently self-studying A-level biology and chemistry, with plans to sit the exams in the summer of 2025. I’ve completed the content and am now actively practicing through practicals and past papers. Given my strong performance in mocks, where I consistently scored full marks or just one grade below, I wonder if I still have a chance to get into a medical university. Could you please guide me on the best universities for medicine? 🌟[/start]

also , now your post is more clear as of before which I couldn't understand but I see you have been doing self study and been scoring perfect grades too , its good and I think you will do good in a levels if you go back to sixth form.
Reply 4
if i get 2 a stars would i still be able to get in and perhaps if i get a very good score in bmat and ucat

yes ! i hope so :smile:
My GCSE grades were disappointing. While I achieved a combined science grade of 6 (5 in Maths), my English Language and Literature scores were 4 and 4, respectively. The rest of my grades ranged from 3s to 2s. Despite these setbacks, I applied to sixth forms and colleges, only to face rejection when seeking to study A-levels. As a result, I spent three months studying applied science. However, the teaching quality at the college was subpar, and my friend, who was also studying applied science, eventually switched to a different college due to similar challenges.

[start]I then made a pivotal decision: I switched to a college offering engineering courses. The curriculum was fascinating, heavily focused on mathematics, physics, research, and practical applications. This engineering program was equivalent to three A-levels, and I am predicted to achieve D D D* grades.
Despite my detour into engineering, my passion for medicine remains unwavering. I am currently self-studying A-level biology and chemistry, with plans to sit the exams in the summer of 2025. I’ve completed the content and am now actively practicing through practicals and past papers. Given my strong performance in mocks, where I consistently scored full marks or just one grade below, I wonder if I still have a chance to get into a medical university. Could you please guide me on the best universities for medicine? 🌟[/start]
Just aim for medical schools with minimum requirements for GCSEs (e.g. Imperial, UCL) which also will accept your level 3 qualification combination (i.e. A-level Biology and Chemistry in a gap year following a BTEC course). I'd suggest making a shortlist of the medical schools with just minimum GCSE requirements and contacting them to see if they will accept your level 3 qualification combination.

Note however those minimum requirements for GCSEs will usually include maths and English language at least at a 5 grade (some might require a 6). So you should be planning to resit GCSE English language (and if applicable for the medical schools you want to apply to, maths). These are "hard" requirements and so if you don't meet them you would be automatically rejected. Note also these are common requirements for many universities for any degree so you should be aiming for at least a 5 in English language for that reason anyway.

Despite my detour into engineering, my passion for medicine remains unwavering. I am currently self-studying A-level biology and chemistry, with plans to sit the exams in the summer of 2025. I’ve completed the content and am now actively practicing through practicals and past papers. Given my strong performance in mocks, where I consistently scored full marks or just one grade below, I wonder if I still have a chance to get into a medical university. Could you please guide me on the best universities for medicine? 🌟[/start]

While many unis in london may not care about GCSEs as much as your a lvl grades, ur grades may be a disadvantage. No matter what course, you NEED a 6+ in english and maths, and preferably a 7+ in sciences. So if you're up to it, I'd suggest resitting.

Also, medicine is a HIGHLY competitive field with not so many schools accepting courses other than a levels.
If the applied science ur doing is a lvl that is STILL a disadvantage, most unis will prefer students who have done bio or chem university (this is what I have gathered after talking to some uni admission officers).

Btw, BMATs have been scrapped, so it's only UCATS and only certain skls value ucats more than a lvl results, most being outside of london.

Now getting back to the point that it's a highly competitive subject, there will be SOO many applicants with you who will be students applying with A-A* predicteds in the preferred subjects, you need to show the university what would make you a different candidate than the rest and why they should chose you when you haven't really got the entry requirements (harsh ik but ik at least you haven't got the entry requirements for most Russell group unis).

You can always try, and remember some unis DO accept students who didn't take the straightforward path (by that i mean a lvl bio and chem) and you might be the lucky one! Also, there are foundation years so if you do get into a levels (im unsure if they accept non-a lvl students) and you don't get the grades exactly, its an alternative pathway into medicine. Sure it's longer but if medicine is your goal, its the way to go! Also, medicine apprenticeship has opened up this year so that's a great pathway too!

Or, you can do a science based degree (like biology/biotech/biochem/biomed/chem) and then do a post grad on medicine. So many pathways, you just gotta choose!

Btw, there are some 6th forms (at least near my area - east london) which would accept you with a 66 in science though you would need a pass (5+) for maths and english.
Original post by limbobimbo

While many unis in london may not care about GCSEs as much as your a lvl grades, ur grades may be a disadvantage. No matter what course, you NEED a 6+ in english and maths, and preferably a 7+ in sciences. So if you're up to it, I'd suggest resitting.

Also, medicine is a HIGHLY competitive field with not so many schools accepting courses other than a levels.
If the applied science ur doing is a lvl that is STILL a disadvantage, most unis will prefer students who have done bio or chem university (this is what I have gathered after talking to some uni admission officers).

Btw, BMATs have been scrapped, so it's only UCATS and only certain skls value ucats more than a lvl results, most being outside of london.

Now getting back to the point that it's a highly competitive subject, there will be SOO many applicants with you who will be students applying with A-A* predicteds in the preferred subjects, you need to show the university what would make you a different candidate than the rest and why they should chose you when you haven't really got the entry requirements (harsh ik but ik at least you haven't got the entry requirements for most Russell group unis).

You can always try, and remember some unis DO accept students who didn't take the straightforward path (by that i mean a lvl bio and chem) and you might be the lucky one! Also, there are foundation years so if you do get into a levels (im unsure if they accept non-a lvl students) and you don't get the grades exactly, its an alternative pathway into medicine. Sure it's longer but if medicine is your goal, its the way to go! Also, medicine apprenticeship has opened up this year so that's a great pathway too!

Or, you can do a science based degree (like biology/biotech/biochem/biomed/chem) and then do a post grad on medicine. So many pathways, you just gotta choose!

Btw, there are some 6th forms (at least near my area - east london) which would accept you with a 66 in science though you would need a pass (5+) for maths and english.

Sorry i replied to th3 wrong person/post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending