The Student Room Group

Retaking chemistry gcse

After today I know how badly chemistry went. Paper 1 and paper 2 but I really want to do chemistry for alevels. Will they let me study it while retaking it?
The entry requirement for alevel is a 6 and I know I definitely haven’t got any of the answers that everyone else is sharing so I haven’t got a six.
most likely no
if ur only a few marks of a grade 6 they might consider it tho
Original post by username6217699
most likely no
if ur only a few marks of a grade 6 they might consider it tho

I think my best option. As results day is ten days away is to hope for the best. And worst case scenario is I have to take another subject, retake my chemistry gcse and then switch the replacement subject back to chemistry.
Reply 3
Original post by nervoustitanic
I think my best option. As results day is ten days away is to hope for the best. And worst case scenario is I have to take another subject, retake my chemistry gcse and then switch the replacement subject back to chemistry.

If you know you definitely did not get a 6, why do you want to do it at A-level? It gets so much harder at A-level so might it be worth doing another subject that you will potentially get a better grade in? Personal I would not recommend it with anything less than a 7.
That’s true I guess. Unfortunately I only got a 5 and I was a few marks off a six but they won’t let me anyway. I hope they’ll have a November retake…

Medicine is the only career path Im set on tbh that’s why
Original post by lalexm
If you know you definitely did not get a 6, why do you want to do it at A-level? It gets so much harder at A-level so might it be worth doing another subject that you will potentially get a better grade in? Personal I would not recommend it with anything less than a 7.
That’s true I guess. Unfortunately I only got a 5 and I was a few marks off a six but they won’t let me anyway. I hope they’ll have a November retake…

How many marks off a 6 are you?
Original post by thrivingfrog
How many marks off a 6 are you?

Like 5 marks of a 6. They won’t let me enter into sixthform cuz it’s not enough. Dyk if there’s chemistry results in November
(edited 8 months ago)
Like 5 marks of a 6. They won’t let me enter into sixthform cuz it’s not enough. Dyk if there’s chemistry results in November

how about just re take chem at GCSE and maybe others if you need to and then go into year 12 a year late but if you want to go into medicine idk if that’s possible.
Original post by alevelstudent090
how about just re take chem at GCSE and maybe others if you need to and then go into year 12 a year late but if you want to go into medicine idk if that’s possible.

thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I guess I’ll see and update everything soon
thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I guess I’ll see and update everything soon

no worries! good luck with whatever you choose to do:smile:
Reply 10

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but I think you need to at least start considering alternative career paths. Medicine is hyper competitive, and every year many students with perfect grades i.e. all 8/9s at GCSE and A* at A-level, get rejected. I guess nothing is impossible, but you need to be aware of how difficult it will be for you with your GCSE grades.

There are only resits for maths and English in November. If you were to retake it you'd have to do it next summer
Original post by lalexm
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but I think you need to at least start considering alternative career paths. Medicine is hyper competitive, and every year many students with perfect grades i.e. all 8/9s at GCSE and A* at A-level, get rejected. I guess nothing is impossible, but you need to be aware of how difficult it will be for you with your GCSE grades.

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty. I guess I just need to accept it
Thanks, I appreciate your honesty. I guess I just need to accept it

Good luck on whatever you want to do ! If medicine is really what YOU want to do then I hope it goes well❤️❤️
Original post by STEMGIRLY354
Good luck on whatever you want to do ! If medicine is really what YOU want to do then I hope it goes well❤️❤️

Hi!! Thanks for all the support, I have decided to do history instead of chem and I’m really enjoying it! Honestly even if I was able to do chemistry for alevel I know I’d low-key be miserable and I’m enjoying history much more! However I’ve not decided to give up on med just yet! Even though it’s super competitive I’m still going to apply for biology priority unis, even though it’s a slight slight chance, I’d regret not trying atleast :smile: thanks for the responseee
Hi!! Thanks for all the support, I have decided to do history instead of chem and I’m really enjoying it! Honestly even if I was able to do chemistry for alevel I know I’d low-key be miserable and I’m enjoying history much more! However I’ve not decided to give up on med just yet! Even though it’s super competitive I’m still going to apply for biology priority unis, even though it’s a slight slight chance, I’d regret not trying atleast :smile: thanks for the responseee

Thats actually really cool also ignore people talking about 8/9s cause people have gotten in with lower requirements and it can be demotivating if your already in tough spot
im in year 12 too by the way i have quite low gcses in comparison to other applicants hoping to do medicine though
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/3060/uk-medical-school-entry-requirements-2024-entry.pdf
you can use this to check schools you may meet the requirements for but also check the websites to see if they score gcses and try to see if you are eligible for contextual offers some schools have pathways for people who dont study sciences its all about making a strategic application and gcses arent that important just work on a levels plus ucat and interviews hopefully and it should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest