The Student Room Group

4 A-levels, 2 are coursework. Too much?

Basically I'm currently doing 4 a levels. Product Design, Computing, Maths and Physics. I want to study computer science at uni so don't want to drop physics maths or computing. Both Computing and P.D involve copious amounts of CW in the second year. I would like to drop P.D now if I do end up dropping it to avoid wasting time and effort. Do you think it's worth powering through and keeping P.D as the fourth A-level, even with the CW? (Don't really want motivational 'you can do anything if you set you mind to it' s... Just realism here please :biggrin:)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by koalameister
Basically I'm currently doing 4 a levels. Product Design, Computing, Maths and Physics. I want to study computer science at uni so don't want to drop physics maths or computing. Both Computing and P.D involve copious amounts of CW in the second year. I would like to drop P.D now if I do end up dropping it to avoid wasting time and effort. Do you think it's worth powering through and keeping P.D as the fourth A-level, even with the CW? (Don't really want motivational 'you can do anything if you set you mind to it' s... Just realism here please :biggrin:)

Computing is not required for a computer science degree btw. Universities like Further maths more than Computing for a computer science degree. The question is why do you want to study PD? If you enjoy it, it might be nice to take a break work on something not book-work. But if you're not really enjoying it, it would be an uphill battle.

My friends who did PD were in after shxlll constantly working; that may be because we had a **** department though.

Yes, I'd drop it if I were you unless you've got an option to sit an AS in Product Design so you at least get a qualification with it - that's the only option with which I'd say powering through is acceptable. 4 A Levels would be way too much in A2 year especially, I'm doing one coursework subject (and it's only 20% of the A Level grade!! Can't imagine how stressful it would be if it were any more than 40%) and my work load for just that element is very heavy and often tedious. There's literally no need for 4 A Levels, and it's much better to get A*A*A* than A*AAA :smile:
Original post by StayWoke
Computing is not required for a computer science degree btw. Universities like Further maths more than Computing for a computer science degree. The question is why do you want to study PD? If you enjoy it, it might be nice to take a break work on something not book-work. But if you're not really enjoying it, it would be an uphill battle.

Did know computing wasn't required, didn't know it was valued less than F. Maths so that's interesting. I'm enjoying class in product design, but the theory and homework is dull...
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
Yes, I'd drop it if I were you unless you've got an option to sit an AS in Product Design so you at least get a qualification with it - that's the only option with which I'd say powering through is acceptable. 4 A Levels would be way too much in A2 year especially, I'm doing one coursework subject (and it's only 20% of the A Level grade!! Can't imagine how stressful it would be if it were any more than 40%) and my work load for just that element is very heavy and often tedious. There's literally no need for 4 A Levels, and it's much better to get A*A*A* than A*AAA :smile:

That's what I'm thinking... Great to hear from someone doing a level coursework rn. No AS at my school :frown:
Original post by Kyber Ninja
My friends who did PD were in after shxlll constantly working; that may be because we had a **** department though.

Department is decent but I'm still worried about cw hours :/

Quick Reply

Latest