The Student Room Group

Maths AS level Q HELP!

Prove all cube numbers are either multiples of 9 or within one of a multiple of 9
If you let n be a cube number then n=m^3 for some integer n.

If m is a multiple of 3, m=3k for some integer k. So then n=m^3 --> n=27k^3 = 9(3k^3) which is obviously a multiple of 9.

If m isn't a multiple of 3, it must eitther leave remainder 1 or 2 after division so call this case A:

Can you now finish the proof?
Reply 2
Original post by thekidwhogames
If you let n be a cube number then n=m^3 for some integer n.

If m is a multiple of 3, m=3k for some integer k. So then n=m^3 --> n=27k^3 = 9(3k^3) which is obviously a multiple of 9.

If m isn't a multiple of 3, it must eitther leave remainder 1 or 2 after division so call this case A:

Can you now finish the proof?

that's great thanks!
Original post by Zain786H
that's great thanks!

No problem - this is an interesting problem, may I ask where you got it from?
Reply 4

It's in the Edexcel Year 1 textbook in the proof by exhaustion exercise. I think a real exam question would give hints on how to split it up into different cases.
Reply 5

I found it in the year 1 OCR A maths book for AS level
Reply 6

It seems like the diffferent textbooks are copying each other :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Notnek
It seems like the diffferent textbooks are copying each other :smile:

Probably lol
Original post by Notnek
It's in the Edexcel Year 1 textbook in the proof by exhaustion exercise. I think a real exam question would give hints on how to split it up into different cases.

Ah yes it probably would. If it just gave you this problem without setting it up from earlier parts, I'd imagine it'd be for the A* students?

Ah, OK, thanks!
Reply 10
Ah yes it probably would. If it just gave you this problem without setting it up from earlier parts, I'd imagine it'd be for the A* students?

I don't think you'd see it in an A Level exam at all so I wouldn't even say it's for A* students. There haven't been enough specimen papers yet so I may be wrong...
Original post by Notnek
I don't think you'd see it in an A Level exam at all so I wouldn't even say it's for A* students. There haven't been enough specimen papers yet so I may be wrong...

Ah OK that's true. Would you say the proofs similar to this (a bit of number theory and algebra) would be STEP I level? If so, the new spec really is bringing more prep for STEP/AEA :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest