The Student Room Group

General Anxiety Disorder and University

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with GAD almost 3 years ago, I was getting better but at the beginning of the semester, I got ill with a bacterial infection, so I had to stay home for two weeks, missing the beginning of University. Ever since my anxiety has been really bad, it got very difficult for me to leave my house so I missed practically most of the semester (handed in all the assignments though). The worrying part is, apparently my Student Tuition Loan wasn't processed, they sent the letter telling me this to my home, which is not in the UK, so I only knew about it in November. With my extreme anxiety the last few months it was hard for me to take care of this, though I tried, my last letter with the missing details for SFE didn't arrive so I have to send it again. On top of all of this, despite me telling all of this to my University, I now have an outstanding debt with Uni... I am really worried and I am doing everything I can right now to sort this out but I am very stressed... Anyone know what I can do and if when my Loan is sorted they will pay the outstanding amount?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks
out of curiosity, where do you feel the anxiety ?

from your stomach ?

from your heart ?
Reply 2
Interesting question.. Normally is my stomach, when it's really bad my heart starts beating real fast, along with stomach pain.. Why?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I have been diagnosed with GAD almost 3 years ago, I was getting better but at the beginning of the semester, I got ill with a bacterial infection, so I had to stay home for two weeks, missing the beginning of University. Ever since my anxiety has been really bad, it got very difficult for me to leave my house so I missed practically most of the semester (handed in all the assignments though). The worrying part is, apparently my Student Tuition Loan wasn't processed, they sent the letter telling me this to my home, which is not in the UK, so I only knew about it in November. With my extreme anxiety the last few months it was hard for me to take care of this, though I tried, my last letter with the missing details for SFE didn't arrive so I have to send it again. On top of all of this, despite me telling all of this to my University, I now have an outstanding debt with Uni... I am really worried and I am doing everything I can right now to sort this out but I am very stressed... Anyone know what I can do and if when my Loan is sorted they will pay the outstanding amount?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks

The same thing happened to me. I just called SFE, also my uni, and told them the problem. My uni then wrote a note on my file saying there's been a mistake and SFE will be paying my tuition fees, then they sorted it out between themselves.
I don't know about the finance side of things, but have you told the uni about your GAD? It might be an idea to tell them if you haven't because they can help you out, whether by not penalizing you for missing seminars/lectures/labs or by other allowances and services. You might also want to consider talking to the university counseling service, I know they can seem very scary when you have anxiety but it can really help to talk to someone. Plus it would appear/actually be like you're doing something to tackle it and they can back you up if you did need to apply for an extension on coursework. A further thing - you said you've been diagnosed, are you still seeing a psychiatrist? They could refer you to CBT or give you medication which might really help. I hope you feel better soon! :smile:
Reply 5
Hello, I have taken medication before and I was really good after it... Problem was staying at home for too long due to me being ill really made me afraid when I went outside - alone I mean, so I always need someone with me to do things... I sent the missing things to SFE today and sent an email to Uni, Monday I'll call them or go there to straighten things out...
As for my anxiety, it has ups and downs, sometimes I can tackle anything and there's times I just dread the thought of going outside... I had a psychologist but it was back in my home country, in the UK I don't have one, but my course leader and my professors are aware of my condition. Last year I did my Foundation Degree there and they all knew about this, do we have to present this kind of information every year with uni?

Thank you!
Hello, I have taken medication before and I was really good after it... Problem was staying at home for too long due to me being ill really made me afraid when I went outside - alone I mean, so I always need someone with me to do things... I sent the missing things to SFE today and sent an email to Uni, Monday I'll call them or go there to straighten things out...
As for my anxiety, it has ups and downs, sometimes I can tackle anything and there's times I just dread the thought of going outside... I had a psychologist but it was back in my home country, in the UK I don't have one, but my course leader and my professors are aware of my condition. Last year I did my Foundation Degree there and they all knew about this, do we have to present this kind of information every year with uni?

Thank you!

I would say to go to your GP and ask about medication again if that's what helped you so much in the past. As long as you didn't take buspar, you should be able to get medication in the UK (buspar, although great, is only recommended for short-term use in the UK).

You shouldn't need to tell your uni every year but maybe because it was a foundation year things might be disjointed - when I was at uni I just told them in first year and it carried over. I'd say to talk to the disability services and see if they can help you. It's great your course leader and professors are aware, but you may need to "formally" tell the university in order to qualify for certain accommodations. Your GP should be able to set you up with a psychologist but be aware there will probably be a witing list - stuff like the counseling services can be useful until you see an actual psychologist.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
I would say to go to your GP and ask about medication again if that's what helped you so much in the past. As long as you didn't take buspar, you should be able to get medication in the UK (buspar, although great, is only recommended for short-term use in the UK).

You shouldn't need to tell your uni every year but maybe because it was a foundation year things might be disjointed - when I was at uni I just told them in first year and it carried over. I'd say to talk to the disability services and see if they can help you. It's great your course leader and professors are aware, but you may need to "formally" tell the university in order to qualify for certain accommodations. Your GP should be able to set you up with a psychologist but be aware there will probably be a witing list - stuff like the counseling services can be useful until you see an actual psychologist.

Yes I will do that! Hoping I can get this situation sorted, it is really worrying me... Specially since I have an exam on the 16th and don't have access to the Course Resources, which I need because my exam will be on a PC... Thank you for everything!

Original post by brookseve21
The same thing happened to me. I just called SFE, also my uni, and told them the problem. My uni then wrote a note on my file saying there's been a mistake and SFE will be paying my tuition fees, then they sorted it out between themselves.

Really? I've informed Uni a lot of times and they still blocked me, have to give them a call or go there and talk to them, it really is an annoying situation... They just give me really short deadlines, this time I got like a week of it, and got blocked -_- Like I could solve anything in such a short time, specially without help :/ How long did it take for SFE to start paying your tuition after the problem? Do you remember? Thanks!
Yes I will do that! Hoping I can get this situation sorted, it is really worrying me... Specially since I have an exam on the 16th and don't have access to the Course Resources, which I need because my exam will be on a PC... Thank you for everything!

Really? I've informed Uni a lot of times and they still blocked me, have to give them a call or go there and talk to them, it really is an annoying situation... They just give me really short deadlines, this time I got like a week of it, and got blocked -_- Like I could solve anything in such a short time, specially without help :/ How long did it take for SFE to start paying your tuition after the problem? Do you remember? Thanks!

It was a fairly quick turn around, think it took a couple of weeks maybe? But I understand your stress, happened to me too! Your admin team at Uni might be a bit slow I'm afraid :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest