The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Law 2008 Applicants

I've been meaning to start this thread for ages, but never quite got round to it. Now that the first few offers (and unfortunately also rejections) have started coming out, I figured it was about time all us potential Durham Law students came up out of the woodwork.

How's everyone's application going? Which college have you applied to? I've applied to St. Chad's (UCAS went on 11th October) and my Durham aes status to 'received by college' on the 21st December, and that's the last I've heard from them!

Anyone out there been lucky enough to receive an offer yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good idea Sephaeii. I have an unconditional offer for LLB at Butler next year.

What was it that made you choose Durham Law? It's a shame they have suspended the ELS course for a while. That might have made my decision a whole lot easier.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah I had an offer from St. Aidens at the start of the month.
Good luck with your application
I've got an offer from Trevelyan, came on the 15th or so. Durham's definitely my top choice, how about you guys?
Reply 4
I think so... not 100% yet though. Are any of you planning to go to the open day?
Reply 5
I have applied to Grey and my status on aes changed to 'received by college' on the 11th of January (or some time around then). Good Luck!
Reply 6
Norme
I have applied to Grey and my status on aes changed to 'received by college' on the 11th of January (or some time around then). Good Luck!

Good luck with that. Durham your first choice?

I've just had a look at the module choices on the website. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of options, but I remember seeing a much larger list last year. Does anyone know why there seem to be fewer options available this year? I might query this on the open day.
Reply 7
I don't think i specifically applied for a college, because Durham wasn't my first choice but sent off my application on the 20th of november and heard nothing back yet!
Reply 8
danfel
Good luck with that. Durham your first choice?.

I got an offer today for law AAA at Grey. At the moment i am leaning towards Durham as my first choice, but I also have an offer off Nottingham so I need to consider that too.
Reply 9
Congrats! Sounds like you have some great offers. Am also considering Notts but leaning towards Durham. It's a tough one.
Reply 10
I'm going to have to make that decision if I get an offer from Nottingham.
Reply 11
Any early preferences Witness?
Reply 12
I've always said that if I could get into Oxford or Durham I would be over the moon. Since getting rejected from Oxford, Durham is definitely my first choice! I completely love the whole place - city and university - so I really hope I get an offer!

Well done to anyone who already has a Durham offer! I'm very jealous...
Reply 13
Sephaeii
I had an interview for law on 20th December. Don't worry, they're not too bad! Everyone is asked the same 6 questions, no matter which pair of interviewers they're interviewed by.

Hi Sephaeii and congratulations again on getting a place for York law (I haven't even got an acknowledgement let alone an offer!), and thanks for reassurance on interview. I see that you are set on going to Durham, and fingers crossed it'll work out.
I am interested to know what you think of York however. It is a new course... 1st year they do it, and by all accounts very novel/experimental in design. What did you think of the people you met... the applicants compared to Oxford, the teachers at York? Program sounds convincing? Could you see yourself there?
Thanks again!
Reply 14
YogiBoy
Hi Sephaeii and congratulations again on getting a place for York law (I haven't even got an acknowledgement let alone an offer!), and thanks for reassurance on interview. I see that you are set on going to Durham, and fingers crossed it'll work out.
I am interested to know what you think of York however. It is a new course... 1st year they do it, and by all accounts very novel/experimental in design. What did you think of the people you met... the applicants compared to Oxford, the teachers at York? Program sounds convincing? Could you see yourself there?
Thanks again!

Yeah, maybe it was just that the law tutor at York was a very effective public speaker, but his talk about the course really did make me interested and excited about Law at York, and I could really see myself there. I think it's very different to most of the other courses at other universities, and it will be a bit of a gamble as it has no established reputation, but it looks good!
Reply 15
No one else heard anything from Durham yet, then? It's beginning to drive me potty, I want an offer from them so much!

Also waiting for the LNAT results, which I think we shoud be getting on Thursday. Eek.

Why do people like to torment us so? As if A levels weren't stressful enough!
Reply 16
I received an offer from them yesterday. Relieved really, seemed like I was holding my breath all this while.

And good luck to all of you who are waiting. Especially you OP, Sephaeii, really do hope you get in.

And to danfel would really appreciate it if you could ask about the sudden disappearance of the range of modules. I would love to go to the open day but can't make it. Thanks.
Reply 17
Got a letter from Durham today saying that because Law is oversubscribed they may take until the end of March to make offers giving our applications "the individual attention it deserves" which is fair enough. I appreciate that Durham are keeping individuals noticed and up to date on their application process (even though i thought it was a rejection :smile:) thats more can be said for LSE, Bristol and Nottingham who between them have sent just one confirmation of arrival of application letter.

Also why do we have to wait for the LNAT results for so long, considering that the universities get our results instantaneously!?!
Reply 18
It's something to do with preventing non-LNAT unis contacting applicants to find out their LNAT scores, so that there's a level playing field and so the LNAT unis don't lose out on their investments. Or something.

Anyway, results tomorrow :eek: I don't know why this is such a big deal since I have all my replies now. But I got 22 last year so I'm hoping for at least 20 this time!
Reply 19
Sephaeii
No one else heard anything from Durham yet, then? It's beginning to drive me potty, I want an offer from them so much!

Also waiting for the LNAT results, which I think we shoud be getting on Thursday. Eek.

Why do people like to torment us so? As if A levels weren't stressful enough!

Am also waiting for Durham and Notts, where else have you got offers from??

Latest