The Student Room Group

A-Levels Medicine

Maths vs Computer Science A levels for medicine?

I understand that universities love to see Biology and Chemistry, but I'm not sure what to take as my third option.
People have recommended Maths for me, but in my Mocks I got a 6, whereas in Computer Science I got and 8. If I continue to revise, then I will probably get a 7 in my GCSE Maths, and a 9 in Computer Science.

So is Maths really that vital? As vital as biology or chemistry? Or is Computer Science a safe bet?
(edited 6 years ago)
maths.
Reply 2
Maths for sure
You will need maths for sure during your application, either for BMAT, UKCAT or during your career for statistics, it is one of the recommended A levels for medicine and often counts towards your offers.
At the same time computer science can be interesting if you excel at it and can somehow link it to medicine (some data-handling/medical programming EPQ).
Most importantly, make sure you can comfortably aim for an A/A* in either of them if you are planning on doing medicine.
Original post by Shaanv
Maths for sure

Really? Won't universities be more happy with a 9 in computer science than a 7 in maths?
Original post by MaSharKo
Really? Won't universities be more happy with a 9 in computer science than a 7 in maths?

Yes, they will be happier with a better grade.

Its just that they prefer maths. Anyways comp science involves quite a bit of maths right??
Original post by Bill Nye
Yes, they will be happier with a better grade.

Its just that they prefer maths. Anyways comp science involves quite a bit of maths right??

Not really - my examboard is just mostly theory, which is why I did great in my Biology too. I prefer just memorizing stuff and pattern finding rather than problem solving.

I'm decent at maths, but I don't think I will enjoy it that much at A-level.
Not really - my examboard is just mostly theory, which is why I did great in my Biology too. I prefer just memorizing stuff and pattern finding rather than problem solving.

I'm decent at maths, but I don't think I will enjoy it that much at A-level.

Don't do it at A-Level if you're not that good at it / don't enjoy it
Original post by Bill Nye
Don't do it at A-Level if you're not that good at it / don't enjoy it

If I came to you asking to do Medicine, would you rather take me in if I got

Biology - A*
Chemistry A*
Computer Science A*

OR

Biology - A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A

I understand that universities love to see Biology and Chemistry, but I'm not sure what to take as my third option.
People have recommended Maths for me, but in my Mocks I got a 6, whereas in Computer Science I got and 8. If I continue to revise, then I will probably get a 7 in my GCSE Maths, and a 9 in Computer Science.

So is Maths really that vital? As vital as biolofgy or chemistry? Or is Computer Science a safe bet?

I wasn't going to take maths and like you, I got a 6 in my mock, but I ended up getting a 9 in my final exam. You have the capacity to do it because you got a 6, and doing loads of practice will help. If you don't think you'll enjoy it, don't take it. But, if you do take it you'll be at an advantage when you have to do your BMAT and UKCAT so that you won't have to relearn all that maths. The BMAT as I have heard brings a bit of AS maths, bio and chem to differentiate between candidates. Also unis just want to see a list of good grades, but they will prefer if your highest ones are for your cores rather than your extras.

Chem and Computer Science have quite a lot of maths in them, so either way with the subjects you are taking there won't be any escape.

Anyway, take what you enjoy, but don't take any of your subjects just to help you get into medicine. Also, if you're worried about not liking it, you can drop it after a couple of lessons. I hated maths at GCSE, its my favourite now. Research over your summer :smile:)
(edited 6 years ago)
It's not that I hate maths, it's just I don't enjoy it as much as I used to, and I find computer science more interesting.
I've done a lot of research, but the thing is I have to make a decision in a weeks time - there is a sixth form I am applying to by the end of this month and I have to tell them what options I'm interested in. Right now I'm leaning towards maths.
If I came to you asking to do Medicine, would you rather take me in if I got

Biology - A*
Chemistry A*
Computer Science A*

OR

Biology - A*
Chemistry A*
Maths A

It's not that easy to get A*s at A levels however you clearly want to take computer science so do so. Maths is more helpful as an A level but is certainly not essential and you won't be rejected over another candidate because you took computer science instead, they are both respected subjects, in fact it may show your versatility if you can relate it back to med. As long as you take bio and chem then you should be fine!

So is Maths really that vital? As vital as biology or chemistry? Or is Computer Science a safe bet?

Hi there!

Most medical schools don't specify what they require for their third A-Level, most simply state that it needs to be an academic subject. You can see exactly what each UK med school requires on our What A-Levels Do I Need To Be a Doctor? page.

Hope this helps :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest