The Student Room Group

Should I do triple science foundation papers

Hi, so GCSE's are in a few months and I chose triple science with the intention of studying science for A levels too. Through the course I've absolutely struggled with science and its a lot tougher than what I expected and therefore I no longer want to study science ever again/ after GCSE. So the problem is that my grades haven't been that good and I did my biology mock recently and I'm sure I've failed as I hardly understood anything despite revising for weeks and being stressed about it. So I think I should do the foundation papers for science. My target is 7. I really have absolutely tried in science but no matter what my grades are just so bad. In other subjects my grades are a lot better such as French Spanish and Chinese where my grades are 9 and 8 and grade A in mandarin. Should I do the higher papers ( I think theres a strong chance I could get a U or a 5 minimum) or the Science foundation papers for triple science ? Teachers have already lost faith in me. And so far I'm doing higher for all other subjects
(edited 6 years ago)
How have you revised for the mocks? Mabye you haven't found the right technique for you. You still have 4 months, if you work just as hard I believe you can pull it off especially when the grade boundaries are lower this year.
Original post by Mr_Robot
How have you revised for the mocks? Mabye you haven't found the right technique for you. You still have 4 months, if you work just as hard I believe you can pull it off especially when the grade boundaries are lower this year.

I have revised for mocks or at least tried. I did the specimen paper at home as well as past papers in test conditions at home and I got pleasing results. But just the mock we did at school, Im sure I got close to 0 marks no doubt. But thanks for your inspirational words I honestly appreciate it and it gives me some hope and confidence too. :smile:
< Edit > oh and how I revised. I used the syllabus from AQA telling us directly what we need to learn. So then I made notes from the textbook on things it said we needed to know. Also the syllabus said that the equation for magnification will be given to us in the exam if we need it however in the exam at school we had to know the equation/formula.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by polyglot23
I have revised for mocks or at least tried. I did the specimen paper at home as well as past papers in test conditions at home and I got pleasing results. But just the mock we did at school, Im sure I got close to 0 marks no doubt. But thanks for your inspirational words I honestly appreciate it and it gives me some hope and confidence too. :smile:

Do you know if it is stress or anxiety that caused you to flunk your exams? If so you can watch videos on YouTube to over come this. I've seen this in some people in my class even though they have the potential to get very high.
Original post by Mr_Robot
Do you know if it is stress or anxiety that caused you to flunk your exams? If so you can watch videos on YouTube to over come this. I've seen this in some people in my class even though they have the potential to get very high.

I think so. I can barely eat and sleep with these exams and when I'm doing subjects that I'm not good in such as science then I can barely remember any information. I'll take your advice. Thanks so much
Reply 5
So I'm in the same boat... I want to do the foundation triple science papers, are you on AQA as well?
Original post by ok12312
So I'm in the same boat... I want to do the foundation triple science papers, are you on AQA as well?

Yes I am :smile: I’m doing AQA. Although I asked my teachers if I could do foundation and they refused . They said I’m capable of doing higher . But honestly for me it doesn’t matter because I won’t study science next year and I’ll be homeschooled too . How are you finding science? I honestly recommend gcp science books . They are great !! I was failing science so my school gave them to me for free last month . I also recommend watching YouTube videos which sum up every single topic 😄
Reply 7
Yeah I'm exactly in the same boat as you, I don't need any sciences as I want to become a corporate lawyer, the cgp books are so good and primrose kitten is a really good youtube channel for revision!
[QUOTE=ok12312;77346360I'm exactly in the same boat as you, I don't need any sciences as I want to become a corporate lawyer, the cgp books are so good and primrose kitten is a really good youtube channel for revision!

Yes I agree 😄. Are you doing the higher papers atm ? Are you going to do foundation ? These still time so don’t give up completely 😃
Reply 9
Original post by polyglot23
Yes I agree 😄. Are you doing the higher papers atm ? Are you going to do foundation ? These still time so don’t give up completely 😃

I'm going to do higher physics and possibly biology but definitely doing foundation chemistry it's so difficult
Original post by ok12312
I'm going to do higher physics and possibly biology but definitely doing foundation chemistry it's so difficult

Oh I didn’t realise we could choose to do higher and foundation. My teacher said we were only allowed to pick one tier . You’re lucky 😊
Reply 11
If you're on AQA and doing triple science you're allowed to, just tell your teacher
Doing foundation papers allows you to practice basic understanding and key words, consequently allowing you to use them successfully on higher paper as you're not given any significant clues etc.

Quick Reply

Latest