The Student Room Group

Science

I’m in year 11 at school, doing my exams in two months. In December I was moved down to foundation science as I stopped working in lessons. (There was some stuff going on in my life and in school with my abusive ex and my school did nothing about it so I got mad at them and stopped working and skipped lessons and walked out of school constantly.) The issues are somewhat resolved now and I got 49/70 on my Physics mock that I took 2 weeks ago, 51/70 on my Biology and 54/70 on Chemistry. There are people who got around 30-40/70 on each paper who have been asked to sit a higher teir paper in comparison to see if they can be moved back to higher. I have asked if I can also take the higher paper as I know I am capable of it, and would rather try and fail than not try at all. I have asked for this so many times in the past 2 weeks and have been refused each time, and the head of science’s reason is “I think moving you to foundation was the best thing we’ve ever done for you and I know you aren’t clever enough to take higher” which really ****ed me off. I’ve always been in the higher set, achieving grade 7’s and 8’s, until the start of this year where I dropped to 3’s and 4’s. I’m now preforming at a 5.5 which is the highest possible grade in combined foundation science. I have worked so hard since december to get my grades back up, most nights I wouldn’t sleep due to revising. I told the head of science that I would do anything to at least try but he still completely refused. I know I am capable of it; I take GCSE combined higher and triple science Mocks in my free time and get them marked and I’m getting 7’s on them. So I don’t unde why I don’t even deserve a chance to prove myself. Is there anything anyone can think of for me to try or to say to the head of science to try and persuade him to give me a chance?
Reply 1
Original post by charliemoo2310
I’m in year 11 at school, doing my exams in two months. In December I was moved down to foundation science as I stopped working in lessons. (There was some stuff going on in my life and in school with my abusive ex and my school did nothing about it so I got mad at them and stopped working and skipped lessons and walked out of school constantly.) The issues are somewhat resolved now and I got 49/70 on my Physics mock that I took 2 weeks ago, 51/70 on my Biology and 54/70 on Chemistry. There are people who got around 30-40/70 on each paper who have been asked to sit a higher teir paper in comparison to see if they can be moved back to higher. I have asked if I can also take the higher paper as I know I am capable of it, and would rather try and fail than not try at all. I have asked for this so many times in the past 2 weeks and have been refused each time, and the head of science’s reason is “I think moving you to foundation was the best thing we’ve ever done for you and I know you aren’t clever enough to take higher” which really ****ed me off. I’ve always been in the higher set, achieving grade 7’s and 8’s, until the start of this year where I dropped to 3’s and 4’s. I’m now preforming at a 5.5 which is the highest possible grade in combined foundation science. I have worked so hard since december to get my grades back up, most nights I wouldn’t sleep due to revising. I told the head of science that I would do anything to at least try but he still completely refused. I know I am capable of it; I take GCSE combined higher and triple science Mocks in my free time and get them marked and I’m getting 7’s on them. So I don’t unde why I don’t even deserve a chance to prove myself. Is there anything anyone can think of for me to try or to say to the head of science to try and persuade him to give me a chance?
if they head of science is no use , why don't you ask the head of year and persuade him as much as you can by showing him the current grades u have and they sort it out? But the problem is you only have 2 months left ..i hope you can sort it out by then ...
(edited 1 month ago)
like the other person said, you can go to your head of year as well. bringing parents in to speak to teachers is a good idea too. and as you seem to be very capable at science (jealous), another option is taking the exam you want to and think you can do privately outside of school. it's external and you'll need to study the higher content independently, but there's nothing the school can do about it. usually to take external exams it costs about fifty pounds.
Original post by charliemoo2310
Bro, I have got exact same situation for the staff refusing me that I can’t do higher which made me go crazy because I was one of the top student last year and now I’m in the bottom and people telling me “I suck” and all that..

Quick Reply

Latest