The Student Room Group

UCL vs Edinburgh

Hi,
I received offers from UCL (Computer Science) and Edinburgh (CS and AI). I would like to know your opinion about these courses. I am most interested in AI and machine learning and I was wondering wich uni has better courses in these specific fields.
Don't come to Edinburgh, the informatics department is abysmal at teaching. We even have a professor who can't stand to lecturer for more than 40 mins, he ends it 20mins early. Yes their research is the creame of the crop but its teaching is rock bottom. Go to UCL.
Original post by eng2017
Don't come to Edinburgh, the informatics department is abysmal at teaching. We even have a professor who can't stand to lecturer for more than 40 mins, he ends it 20mins early. Yes their research is the creame of the crop but its teaching is rock bottom. Go to UCL.

What makes you think UCL is any different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
What makes you think UCL is any different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well my friends doing CS at UCL and notts are really enjoying their course. I deeply regret having gone to edinburgh. Everyone in my peer group at edinburgh feels the same way about the course. This is strongly reflected in the informatics course feedback and edinburgh's student satisfaction rating.

There's just too much theory and maths. It hardly feels like a computing course. It feels like I'm studying for a pure mathematics major.
Original post by eng2017
Well my friends doing CS at UCL and notts are really enjoying their course. I deeply regret having gone to edinburgh. Everyone in my peer group at edinburgh feels the same way about the course. This is strongly reflected in the informatics course feedback and edinburgh's student satisfaction rating.

There's just too much theory and maths. It hardly feels like a computing course. It feels like I'm studying for a pure mathematics major.

It's not really surprising, CS is meant to be theoretical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It's not really surprising, CS is meant to be theoretical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, edinburgh has too much. I'm in my 2nd year and a few of the 1st years transferred to napier, glasgow and aberdeen because of the poor teaching quality and too much theory.

At UCL you do 20 credits of math (only discrete math). At Edin you do 80 credits of math (linear algebra, multivariable calculus, probability and discrete math). Its also an 4 years vs 3 years for a BS degree. Why waste another year in academia when you could use that year doing an industrial placement at ucl? If you're not from the EU or Scotland there's really no reason to choose edin over ucl.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending