The Student Room Group

Any tips to do well in my maths test

I recently moved to a new school which I really like except I'm put in the bottom set for everything and classified as doing higher for biology and English but foundation for maths and physics. This is very heartbreaking for me because in my old school I worked so hard in maths to do higher and was also top set in science. Also, i did higher in all of my subjects and I was very pleased however, coming to a new school my confidences has unfortunately decreased simply because my maths teacher told me 'your ability is foundation'. Ever since then I feel like quitting on my dreams and everything I have worked hard for because I know if I try I will fail. Does anyone have any advice for me to get back on my feet or any advice to do well on my maths tests? I don't mind words of encouragement i find it very helpful!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
practice questions...
Reply 2
The best thing to do is find out what exam board your doing and print off the foundation papers at home. Sit there in relaxed conditions and work through. If you can't do a question just move on. Time yourself as well. Once your finished go back on the website and print off the mark scheme and see how you did. To find out how to do the questions you got wrong type the exam board and paper into YouTube and watch someone else go through it or you can ask your teacher for help. Once you get the feedback and understand where you went wrong try the same paper again. Once you have nailed that paper move onto a new one. If you keep up this process you'll find that you won't need to keep checking YouTube because you'll start to achieve high grades. As far as getting moved up a set is concerned the best thing to do is focus hard in class and try your best. Always ask for some more challenging questions if you've finished. Ask your teacher for some harder questions outside of lesson. But honestly maths is a hard subject so don't put yourself down just because your not in top set. You can do it.

Hope this helps
Original post by studydevil
I recently moved to a new school which I really like except I'm put in the bottom set for everything and classified as doing higher for biology and English but foundation for maths and physics. This is very heartbreaking for me because in my old school I worked so hard in maths to do higher and was also top set in science. Also, i did higher in all of my subjects and I was very pleased however, coming to a new school my confidences has unfortunately decreased simply because my maths teacher told me 'your ability is foundation'. Ever since then I feel like quitting on my dreams and everything I have worked hard for because I know if I try I will fail. Does anyone have any advice for me to get back on my feet or any advice to do well on my maths tests? I don't mind words of encouragement i find it very helpful!!!!

Ask him/her to give you a higher mock exam paper
Do it in exam conditions (with proof of doing this)
Ask your teacher to mark it
If you get a high grade 5 or above then tell her that you have proved to her that you can do higher.
good luck
Reply 4
thank you!!! so much I will get update you if this has improved my grades and my scores etc.

Quick Reply

Latest