The Student Room Group

Core Maths level 3

Hi,
I take two sciences at a level and I was made to take mathematics in context at AS level, which I have an exam in this year. We have two lessons every two weeks and I could not tell you what we have learnt, the homework has no relevance to what we learn and It doesn't help in my sciences. I really do not want to do it, is it possible to drop it now? I've already asked to drop it and they said I can't- it doesn't help and it just means I have more stress over something I didn't want to do in the first place.
Original post by CupOfCaramel
Hi,
I take two sciences at a level and I was made to take mathematics in context at AS level, which I have an exam in this year. We have two lessons every two weeks and I could not tell you what we have learnt, the homework has no relevance to what we learn and It doesn't help in my sciences. I really do not want to do it, is it possible to drop it now? I've already asked to drop it and they said I can't- it doesn't help and it just means I have more stress over something I didn't want to do in the first place.

Tbh if you've already asked to drop it and they've said no then there's little chance you can drop it. What you can do is improve your grade though :smile: Find the specification (for example here is Edexcel's: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/mathematics-in-context/2014/specification-and-sample-assessments/Specification_L3_Certificate_in_Mathematics_in_Context.pdf) It looks to me that it's not particularly to help with sciences, but more to help with maths in real life, although keeping up your maths in general will definitely help with your sciences even if you don't notice the difference :smile:
Personally I'd suggest trying to get some resources so you can pass it with the best grade possible :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Tbh if you've already asked to drop it and they've said no then there's little chance you can drop it. What you can do is improve your grade though :smile: Find the specification (for example here is Edexcel's: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/mathematics-in-context/2014/specification-and-sample-assessments/Specification_L3_Certificate_in_Mathematics_in_Context.pdf) It looks to me that it's not particularly to help with sciences, but more to help with maths in real life, although keeping up your maths in general will definitely help with your sciences even if you don't notice the difference :smile:
Personally I'd suggest trying to get some resources so you can pass it with the best grade possible :smile:

Thank you! I want to do vet med so if I got a C at AS level in core maths but better in my other three will that bring me down and lower my chances? That's all I'm worried about :smile:
Thank you! I want to do vet med so if I got a C at AS level in core maths but better in my other three will that bring me down and lower my chances? That's all I'm worried about :smile:

It wouldn't be ideal, but I don't know specifically about vet med. If you're capable of getting the grades you need for vet med I would imagine you're also capable of getting a high grade in the core maths so it would be best to try your best and have the high grade :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can relate to your AS maths struggles. My teachers were awful and I ended up hating the subject :grumble: Ended up with an E!

None of the vet schools ask for an additional AS grade any more (it's been that way for a while, but especially so now that courses are becoming linear), so as long as you do well in your other three subjects and meet the subject requirements, you're good. I got four vet school offers despite my precious E so it can't have been too much of a disadvantage!

As for whether you can drop it; if you haven't been entered for the exam yet then you should be able to; however you're obliged to be in class for a certain number of hours per week to class as a full time student (for which the school receives funding to teach you), so this may explain why they are hesitant. I would like to encourage you to keep trying at it and self teach if necessary; there are plenty of resources out there. Saying that would make me a massive hypocrite though :wink:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I can relate to your AS maths struggles. My teachers were awful and I ended up hating the subject :grumble: Ended up with an E!

None of the vet schools ask for an additional AS grade any more (it's been that way for a while, but especially so now that courses are becoming linear), so as long as you do well in your other three subjects and meet the subject requirements, you're good. I got four vet school offers despite my precious E so it can't have been too much of a disadvantage!

As for whether you can drop it; if you haven't been entered for the exam yet then you should be able to; however you're obliged to be in class for a certain number of hours per week to class as a full time student (for which the school receives funding to teach you), so this may explain why they are hesitant. I would like to encourage you to keep trying at it and self teach if necessary; there are plenty of resources out there. Saying that would make me a massive hypocrite though :wink:

Wow thank you that's such a relief haha! So if I do get my AAB/AAA then having a rubbish grade in core maths won't matter so much??

I don't believe we have yet, but it's only compulsory for those who take sciences so not everyone does it, so I do more hours in the classroom than them anyway! I feel like I don't have time for it , my other 3 are time consuming enough, but I'll try my best to give it my best shot and try to make time for it haha 😂
Wow thank you that's such a relief haha! So if I do get my AAB/AAA then having a rubbish grade in core maths won't matter so much??

I don't believe we have yet, but it's only compulsory for those who take sciences so not everyone does it, so I do more hours in the classroom than them anyway! I feel like I don't have time for it , my other 3 are time consuming enough, but I'll try my best to give it my best shot and try to make time for it haha 😂

:nah: Nah, won't matter at all. In the past I would have suggested staying away from Cambridge, but I'm not sure how much this will matter any more (I'm assuming that you won't be taking any formal exams at the end of year 12? I'm a little rusty with knowing which subjects have been changed). Other vet schools take a much more holistic approach to applications, considering your personal statement, work experience etc etc so they'll be absolutely fine :smile: Just ensure that your grade in maths doesn't influence your teachers' opinions of your abilities in other grades to ensure you get those As predicted for A2.

To be fair, some aspects of maths will be helpful to know for the vet med degree (statistics comes to mind), so try and think of it that way :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
:nah: Nah, won't matter at all. In the past I would have suggested staying away from Cambridge, but I'm not sure how much this will matter any more (I'm assuming that you won't be taking any formal exams at the end of year 12? I'm a little rusty with knowing which subjects have been changed). Other vet schools take a much more holistic approach to applications, considering your personal statement, work experience etc etc so they'll be absolutely fine :smile: Just ensure that your grade in maths doesn't influence your teachers' opinions of your abilities in other grades to ensure you get those As predicted for A2.

To be fair, some aspects of maths will be helpful to know for the vet med degree (statistics comes to mind), so try and think of it that way :smile:

Im so glad, I was panicking 😂 Erm I'm not too sure, I don't think so anyway!

I'll try to remind myself of that while I'm struggling trying to learn it all haha :smile:

Thanks so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest