The Student Room Group

A-level options

I've got a 6 in maths and now I can't do A-level maths, I'm quite annoyed because I revised quite a lot for maths (I did past papers continuously, topic tests etc, I did feel prepared). I'm thinking of remarking my paper or is resitting the maths exam worth it? I might do AS Core Maths instead not sure yet??
Reply 1
Original post by jiungie
I've got a 6 in maths and now I can't do A-level maths, I'm quite annoyed because I revised quite a lot for maths (I did past papers continuously, topic tests etc, I did feel prepared). I'm thinking of remarking my paper or is resitting the maths exam worth it? I might do AS Core Maths instead not sure yet??

Also is Level 3 Financial Studies any good? I have picked it but I may change my options in September.
Reply 2
Original post by jiungie

Have you tried talking to your sixth form/college to see what they can do?

My college required a 6 for A-Level Maths and my friend was a few marks away from a 6 in his GCSE Maths yet they let him in after he talked to the admissions teachers about it.

Worth a try.
Reply 3
Original post by Aceful
Have you tried talking to your sixth form/college to see what they can do?

My college required a 6 for A-Level Maths and my friend was a few marks away from a 6 in his GCSE Maths yet they let him in after he talked to the admissions teachers about it.

Worth a try.

I have asked for advice. I will go to the sixthform tomorrow and see if they will let me.
Reply 4
Original post by jiungie
I have asked for advice. I will go to the sixthform tomorrow and see if they will let me.

Do you have a career path in mind?

Because if you want to go university for a STEM subject, some top universities may not accept BTEC so doing Level 3 Financial Studies may put you at a disadvantage. Top universities definitely want A-Level Maths if you want to do a degree in STEM.

However it is good to have a good selection of A-Levels/BTECs to keep your options open if you are not sure what to do after sixth form.
Reply 5
Original post by Aceful
Do you have a career path in mind?

Because if you want to go university for a STEM subject, some top universities may not accept BTEC so doing Level 3 Financial Studies may put you at a disadvantage. Top universities definitely want A-Level Maths if you want to do a degree in STEM.

However it is good to have a good selection of A-Levels/BTECs to keep your options open if you are not sure what to do after sixth form.

I wanted to do Accounting and Finance in the future, I cannot do A-level Maths since I do not have the grades, I was predicted a 7 but I got 6. I do not know what to do now. I am not sure if I should do AS Core Maths??
Reply 6
Original post by jiungie
I wanted to do Accounting and Finance in the future, I cannot do A-level Maths since I do not have the grades, I was predicted a 7 but I got 6. I do not know what to do now. I am not sure if I should do AS Core Maths??

Have you considered any other sixth forms/colleges to see if they will allow you to take A-Level Maths with your 6?

Once again, some universities may not take into consideration AS Core Maths. I suggest looking at a few universities to see their entry requirements to see what subjects/GCSE grades they require and if they consider AS levels in their offers.

You could retake GCSE Maths in November if your sixth form allows?
Reply 7
Original post by Aceful
Have you considered any other sixth forms/colleges to see if they will allow you to take A-Level Maths with your 6?

Once again, some universities may not take into consideration AS Core Maths. I suggest looking at a few universities to see their entry requirements to see what subjects/GCSE grades they require and if they consider AS levels in their offers.

You could retake GCSE Maths in November if your sixth form allows?

I am going to see if I am able to do it, I decided not to pick AS Core Maths and did something else. I have not seen any sixthforms with a grade 6 as a requirement, it is too late because even so I have not applied to that school. I will do so.

Will retaking the gcse maths exam going to be worth it in the end? It does cost money, I think??
Reply 8
Original post by jiungie
I am going to see if I am able to do it, I decided not to pick AS Core Maths and did something else. I have not seen any sixthforms with a grade 6 as a requirement, it is too late because even so I have not applied to that school. I will do so.

Will retaking the gcse maths exam going to be worth it in the end? It does cost money, I think??

My college allowed people to retake in their first year even if they passed for around £40-£50 (depending on the exam board) A grade 6 is a good result but if top universities require a 7 or above and you want to get into one, then it is worth retaking. If you decide not to and cannot do A-Level Maths then you will still be able to attend a university (or apprenticeship) for accounting and finance but it may not be ranked highly if that matters to you.

Good luck
Reply 9
Original post by Aceful
My college allowed people to retake in their first year even if they passed for around £40-£50 (depending on the exam board) A grade 6 is a good result but if top universities require a 7 or above and you want to get into one, then it is worth retaking. If you decide not to and cannot do A-Level Maths then you will still be able to attend a university (or apprenticeship) for accounting and finance but it may not be ranked highly if that matters to you.

Good luck

Oh okay. Thank you for the advice. If I do miss content (due to resitting the exam), does that mean I have to catch up on my own, right??
Reply 10
Original post by jiungie
Oh okay. Thank you for the advice. If I do miss content (due to resitting the exam), does that mean I have to catch up on my own, right??

Yeah you would have to catch up on your own unless you don't have any timetabled lessons on the day/time that your papers will be.

Quick Reply

Latest