The Student Room Group

University budgeting: living costs, etc.

I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on how to budget as I will be going to uni this september - or an insight into how you budgeted during university and how you dealt with food costs and the likes?
Thanks!
I'm lucky that I got a good student loan so that I didn't have to have a strict budget. What I do for a food shop is put things in my basket on their website and see how much it comes to so when I go to the store to buy it I have a rough idea of what I'm expecting. Also if I'm not planning on buying anything when I go out I will leave my purse and cards at home so even if I see something I want I can't buy it. Next month I am also going to start a spreadsheet and track all my purchases and then review it every month to see where I can cut down. My guilty purchase is chocolate after work. Oh also when food shopping buy own brand foods (only brands I buy are Nutella and Batchelors super rice) everything else own brand. It's cheaper and still tastes good. Try and cook from scratch as much as possible and make enough of a meal to last 2-3 meals, so much cheaper and you develop good skills.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm lucky that I got a good student loan so that I didn't have to have a strict budget. What I do for a food shop is put things in my basket on their website and see how much it comes to so when I go to the store to buy it I have a rough idea of what I'm expecting. Also if I'm not planning on buying anything when I go out I will leave my purse and cards at home so even if I see something I want I can't buy it. Next month I am also going to start a spreadsheet and track all my purchases and then review it every month to see where I can cut down. My guilty purchase is chocolate after work. Oh also when food shopping buy own brand foods (only brands I buy are Nutella and Batchelors super rice) everything else own brand. It's cheaper and still tastes good. Try and cook from scratch as much as possible and make enough of a meal to last 2-3 meals, so much cheaper and you develop good skills.

Many thanks this is great, I will try do this when the time comes!
Original post by Rowan.c
Many thanks this is great, I will try do this when the time comes!

I also recommend getting the Nosh student cook book. Recipes are really delicious and so cheap and often makes 2 or more meals.
I would advice working out how much you're going to get from student loans/bursaries/parents if you're that lucky and then deduct major expenses like rent/bills. After that subtract some money as deposit for a house next year (usually about 1 months rent and a few hundred pounds security deposit), then divide the rest by 52.

Now you have a weekly budget to stick to. If you think you can live within that then great. If not then consider getting a part time job, I'd advice going for one at your favourite supermarket. This is because they tend to pay fairly well (most pay under 21's the same as over 21's which means at least £7.50 an hour and usually more) and you can make use of their staff discount.

If you still need to save more money then look into if you can get someone to refer you to a bank or other bills company, which can save you a few hundred quid (e.g. Nationwide offer £200 to share when you refer a friend and Virgin media offer £50 off your next bill when you refer someone).
Reply 5
Original post by Dannyboy2015
I would advice working out how much you're going to get from student loans/bursaries/parents if you're that lucky and then deduct major expenses like rent/bills. After that subtract some money as deposit for a house next year (usually about 1 months rent and a few hundred pounds security deposit), then divide the rest by 52.

Now you have a weekly budget to stick to. If you think you can live within that then great. If not then consider getting a part time job, I'd advice going for one at your favourite supermarket. This is because they tend to pay fairly well (most pay under 21's the same as over 21's which means at least £7.50 an hour and usually more) and you can make use of their staff discount.

If you still need to save more money then look into if you can get someone to refer you to a bank or other bills company, which can save you a few hundred quid (e.g. Nationwide offer £200 to share when you refer a friend and Virgin media offer £50 off your next bill when you refer someone).

Thanks i'll look into this :smile: !
Hey I'm also going to Uni this year and I've been looking around at ways I can budget and just general research. I've googled a few budgeting tips and templates and I've sort of merged them into one. I've come up with categories for items (e.g. - food, clothes, alcohol, travel expenses) and once I've got my student loan figures I will divide them up into weeks/months and subtract however much I need to spend on accommodation and then divvy the rest up into the other categories. If I don't have a reasonable amount of money for each category then I'll have to think about getting a job or another way to get money in, but yeah...
Reply 7
Original post by itslaurenx
Hey I'm also going to Uni this year and I've been looking around at ways I can budget and just general research. I've googled a few budgeting tips and templates and I've sort of merged them into one. I've come up with categories for items (e.g. - food, clothes, alcohol, travel expenses) and once I've got my student loan figures I will divide them up into weeks/months and subtract however much I need to spend on accommodation and then divvy the rest up into the other categories. If I don't have a reasonable amount of money for each category then I'll have to think about getting a job or another way to get money in, but yeah...

That seems like a good plan to me, I guess I will have a better idea of making a plan etc once I get figures on my student loans too.
York seems pretty affordable anyway, or at least I hope it lives up to that rumour lol
Original post by Rowan.c
That seems like a good plan to me, I guess I will have a better idea of making a plan etc once I get figures on my student loans too.
York seems pretty affordable anyway, or at least I hope it lives up to that rumour lol

Hahaha hopefully!! I'm either going to Leeds or Hull... I just really wanna know how much money I'm gonna get so I know whether to start crying now or later lmao
Original post by Rowan.c
I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on how to budget as I will be going to uni this september - or an insight into how you budgeted during university and how you dealt with food costs and the likes?
Thanks!

take how much money you will be getting from sfe etc, take away how much your rent is then divide through by how many weeks you need that money to last (some peoples parents supported them over the summer, some dont so for the ones that dont it is 52 weeks)

then this is how much you have per week, split some of it off for food + uni supplies, some for social, a bit for emergency money and put a bit away each week for when you need to pay your next years house deposit, summer rent, admins fees etc

To reduce food cost

- cook your own meals
- take home made lunch with you rather than (ie sandwhichs etc)
- get mostly own brand foods (stay away from big brand names) and try some of the cheap version of own brand foods
- try to eat out/get takeaway only on special occasions
Original post by itslaurenx
Hahaha hopefully!! I'm either going to Leeds or Hull... I just really wanna know how much money I'm gonna get so I know whether to start crying now or later lmao

I really want to get into the City residence accommodation so if I find out im more of a peasant than i thought then rip 😂
Original post by madmadmax321
take how much money you will be getting from sfe etc, take away how much your rent is then divide through by how many weeks you need that money to last (some peoples parents supported them over the summer, some dont so for the ones that dont it is 52 weeks)

then this is how much you have per week, split some of it off for food + uni supplies, some for social, a bit for emergency money and put a bit away each week for when you need to pay your next years house deposit, summer rent, admins fees etc

To reduce food cost

- cook your own meals
- take home made lunch with you rather than (ie sandwhichs etc)
- get mostly own brand foods (stay away from big brand names) and try some of the cheap version of own brand foods
- try to eat out/get takeaway only on special occasions

Ahh that seems like a good method, thanks!
Original post by Rowan.c
Thanks!

Well, budgeting is not as difficult as it may seem. There will be a few necessities that you cannot absolutely go without. Now for those its better to go to the super store and purchase in bulk. Buy non perishable items in bulk they always have deals and will always be cheaper. allocate how much you would like to spend on variables, this way you know when you are going over board. On weekends pre-drink at home with friends so that you save on expensive drinks in the club. Do not purchase every book in your syllabus. Get the e-version, cheaper again sometimes you will find the free version online as well. Get student travel cards so that you save money when using public transport. Most of the brands offer student discounts such as Topshop, H&M etc, whenever out shopping do not forget to ask for the same. Try finding deals on groupon for meals with friends so that you do not have to pay full price at the restaurant. These are just a few tips but it will really go a good way in saving money. Also do not forget to actually record all your expenses, it helps in keeping a check on how you are spending.
Original post by Rowan.c
Ahh that seems like a good method, thanks!

As an update, I did the spreadsheet for February and have been doing it this month too, and it's helping so much. I didn't realise how much unnecessary rubbish I was buying until I saw the numbers in front of me. It shocked me how much money I could have had if I hadn't spent it on impulse buys. Definitely recommend doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending