The Student Room Group

How much spending money should I get?

So the full maintenance grant is just under £10k (assuming your parents qualify for it).

If they decide to take none of it, then the assumption is they match it.

So if halls accommodation was £6k, that leaves £4k. £4k divided by 40 weeks = a weekly spending allowance of £100. Is that about right :smile:
Reply 1
slightly confused by what you're asking

yes, £4k/40 is £100, but there's 52 weeks in the year you're probably going to want to be alive for, unless you don't spend during the holidays
Original post by HoldThisL
slightly confused by what you're asking

yes, £4k/40 is £100, but there's 52 weeks in the year you're probably going to want to be alive for, unless you don't spend during the holidays

40 student weeks. I’ll get a job when I’m home. Well that’s the plan :smile:

And obviously I don’t need £100 a week when I’m back home!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jimmybonds007
40 student weeks. I’ll get a job when I’m home. Well that’s the plan :smile:

then you should have more than £100/week to save or spend during term
Original post by HoldThisL
then you should have more than £100/week to save or spend during term

You mean I should ask for more. Or that I top it up with what I earn in the holidays. Not sure my parents still give me more than £100 for food/drink etc
Reply 5
Original post by jimmybonds007
So the full maintenance grant is just under £10k (assuming your parents qualify for it).

If they decide to take none of it, then the assumption is they match it.

So if halls accommodation was £6k, that leaves £4k. £4k divided by 40 weeks = a weekly spending allowance of £100. Is that about right :smile:

The maintenance loan is made to the student, not their parents. Household income is taken into account and if you have higher earning parents the loan will be reduced with the parents expected to make up the difference. Parents are not required to pay anything and many pay nothing at all or less than the shortfall because the can't afford to, leaving the student to rely on savings, part time job etc.

If your parents are wealthy enough to be able to fund your whole university living costs you are very fortunate. How much you need depends very much on where you go to university. Your accommodation budget will depend on where you go, what type of accommodation you are allocated - cheaper rooms are in great demand and you may end up being put somewhere you didn't budget for For example, UCL has single rooms as cheap as £138/week but also as expensive as £293/week both for 39 week contracts. Going to a northern university is typically cheaper than a southern/London one, and that will impact on how much you need to live on.
Original post by marple
The maintenance loan is made to the student, not their parents. Household income is taken into account and if you have higher earning parents the loan will be reduced with the parents expected to make up the difference. Parents are not required to pay anything and many pay nothing at all or less than the shortfall because the can't afford to, leaving the student to rely on savings, part time job etc.

If your parents are wealthy enough to be able to fund your whole university living costs you are very fortunate. How much you need depends very much on where you go to university. Your accommodation budget will depend on where you go, what type of accommodation you are allocated - cheaper rooms are in great demand and you may end up being put somewhere you didn't budget for For example, UCL has single rooms as cheap as £138/week but also as expensive as £293/week both for 39 week contracts. Going to a northern university is typically cheaper than a southern/London one, and that will impact on how much you need to live on.

Thank you. I am lucky enough and therefore my parents are settling the accommodation part directly with the uni. I’m just trying to establish what it is I need to live on. They will pay for food etc but just trying to agree on what a fair weekly amount is.
Reply 7
(Original post by jimmybonds007)Thank you. I am lucky enough and therefore my parents are settling the accommodation part directly with the uni. I’m just trying to establish what it is I need to live on. They will pay for food etc but just trying to agree on what a fair weekly amount is.

Look at the universities you are thinking of going to and work out a reasonable budget, most of them give guidance. Don't make the mistake of avoiding work experience/part time job/internship etc just because you have no financial pressures on you when at university. From what you have said you don't sound likely to do this, but lack of work / real life experience does put people at a disadvantage. Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending