The Student Room Group

Doctors can stop life support without parents consent

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42862431

Doctors can stop life-support treatment to a brain-damaged 11-month-old against his parents' wishes, a High Court judge has said.
King's College Hospital wanted to give only palliative care to Isaiah Haastrup as staff felt continued life-support was "not in his best interests".

Isaiah's parents, Takesha Thomas and Lanre Haastrup, both 36, wanted his life-support treatment to continue. Mr Justice MacDonald said he passed his ruling with "profound sadness".

Mr Haastrup, from Peckham, south London, said after the ruling: "We will be speaking to the lawyers to see what they say. "Of course, one is disappointed."

However hard this must be for the parents, it's understandable if the baby will always remain on life support, I can't imagine how tough a decision like this must be.
Another Charlie Gard case?

Sad. But probably the right decision.
It's an incredibly difficult decision and I can't imagine it was made quickly. However, I can understand the judge's decision because if everything has been done for the little one then keeping him alive on a machine for who knows how long maybe isn't the best thing for him. Also, if the doctors have agreed then as hard as it is the parents should probably let go, the doctors are so well trained they know when they've done all they can and the best thing to do is let him die in peace. Of course, I write this not being a parent myself so I don't know the other side of the emotions.
Reply 3
I haven't read the full details about this, but I read the court docs etc from the Charlie Gard case and I don't think the doctors or the courts usually get this wrong. Incredibly sad, and I won't pretend to know what the parents go through, but I ultimately expect that this is the right decision.
Why immoral? Just curious. It seems to me that in such emotive situations, those heavily involved emotionally are perhaps not best placed to make good decisions. A very sad case indeed.
I have to believe the desire to heal must run deep in anyone who stays the course and completes all it takes to become a doctor. From my own experience in dealing with end of life decisions for family members, the doctors I've met do not easily give up on life. I'm sure the right choice was made for the child.
Immoral is the same as unethical? Morally it's the right thing to do because the baby will forever be on life support, what kind of life is that? At the moment the baby isn't even aware it exists so ending it's life now, while an extremely tough decision, is the right one in my opinion.
Easy. Doctors knows more about the baby's condition than the parents. So this is right...

...Unless the parents have a tangible case that proves continued life support will aid the baby's recovery... but I doubt they know anything about that.
Reply 8
I feel the title you've put is somewhat partisan on this issue...
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Immoral is the same as unethical?

idk, maybe they mean their own set of morals, vs the standard medical ethics that were sent down by God?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending