The Student Room Group

Worred about a level

I am in year 12 dong biology,chemistry and maths in my mocks I have received BBU (U for chemistry) for AS I am quite worried I know the reason my grades are not very good is because I don't work very hard.This year has been quite hard mainly due to mental health issues (I was recently diagnosed with depression and Aspergers syndrome). I am quite worried about this as I want to study medicine and I am scared about not getting the grades I tell myself I have time so I won't stress and suffer more headaches.Any tips or advice?My school is not very supportive at all.

Having people at my school keep telling me that because I don't work hard my grades won't be good enough for medicine.I try to stay optimistic as I become easily stressed which manifests itself in painful symptoms which prevent me from working.I am currently trying out some techniques to see what works in terms of studying.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am in year 12 dong biology,chemistry and maths in my mocks I have received BBU (U for chemistry) for AS I am quite worried I know the reason my grades are not very good is because I don't work very hard.This year has been quite hard mainly due to mental health issues (I was recently diagnosed with depression and Aspergers syndrome). I am quite worried about this as I want to study medicine and I am scared about not getting the grades I tell myself I have time so I won't stress and suffer more headaches.Any tips or advice?My school is not very supportive at all.

Having people at my school keep telling me that because I don't work hard my grades won't be good enough for medicine.I try to stay optimistic as I become easily stressed which manifests itself in painful symptoms which prevent me from working.I am currently trying out some techniques to see what works in terms of studying.

It's great to have ambitions and dreams, but they have to be realistic. And at the moment, from the information in this post, it doesn't sound as though yours are. You're going to find it difficult to go from BBU in mocks to good enough grades for medicine - you'll need A grades minimum and even then some applicants aren't successful. But assuming that you did get in, the medicine course is very full on and hard work, and it sounds like that's just going to make you ill.

If you're sure you want medicine, you might need to take some time before rushing into it. It might be a good idea to take a gap year and gain work experience, whilst focusing on your mental health and getting better. Or you might want to consider graduate entry and taking another degree beforehand. Alternatively, you might think another medicine career might be better for you, such as nursing or physiotherapy.

Quick Reply

Latest