The Student Room Group

Work experience with a judge

Would you say that in the UK it is acceptable to write to a judge to ask them if you could shadow them or have any sort of work experience with them? I’m on the fence about it because I know that a large part of work experience, especially if you are thinking about going into the Bar, is gained through unofficial channels and your own initiative, but on the other hand I don’t want to be desperate, annoying or out of line. :/
Original post by thelovinpeople
I’m on the fence about it because I know that a large part of work experience, especially if you are thinking about going into the Bar is gained through unofficial channels and your own initiative

I don't agree with this at all. Certainly I never approached anyone at the Bar through any kind of unofficial channel. I would be surprised if more than a small minority do so.
Reply 2
Original post by thelovinpeople
Would you say that in the UK it is acceptable to write to a judge to ask them if you could shadow them or have any sort of work experience with them? I’m on the fence about it because I know that a large part of work experience, especially if you are thinking about going into the Bar, is gained through unofficial channels and your own initiative, but on the other hand I don’t want to be desperate, annoying or out of line. :/

Usually this is called "Marshalling" and usually you need to write to your local court service to apply. Although, I would not bother as they usually only accept students who are on their BPTC.

Emailing them without any prior conversation or having some sort of connection with them is unlikely to get noticed, most often it will just get ignored.

What stage are you currently at? University/sixth form?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending