The Student Room Group

bsc economics at kcl

i just got a conditional offer from kcl for bsc economics but i got some concerns regarding the offer since the course is really new. it has a high entry requirement and the uni seems to be prestigious and the location is actually great. any of you also got the offer and will firm it? and if you are taking the course, what made u choose kcl for economics and how is the course and uni life?
Original post by kkkkkk2000
i just got a conditional offer from kcl for bsc economics but i got some concerns regarding the offer since the course is really new. it has a high entry requirement and the uni seems to be prestigious and the location is actually great. any of you also got the offer and will firm it? and if you are taking the course, what made u choose kcl for economics and how is the course and uni life?

Hey,

Sorry to see that you have not had a respons e to this yet.

I've looked at some related 2017 threads but they do not provide much info.

Keep an eye out in the King's College London forum.

If you get the chance, go to an open day / offer holder day.

All the best
Hello there friend :smile: I also received an offer from KCL for Economics and have literally the same concern as you and I need to pick between that or UCL as I have offers from both with the same requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by Malakas99
Hello there friend :smile: I also received an offer from KCL for Economics and have literally the same concern as you and I need to pick between that or UCL as I have offers from both with the same requirements.

i think we are going through the same thing... there is very little information about the course even on kcl's webpage. it's like nobody is attending the course.
i think we are going through the same thing... there is very little information about the course even on kcl's webpage. it's like nobody is attending the course.

It's not that. The course started at 2017 and that's why there is no information. We are literally going to be the 2nd year applying and doing this course. What did they ask you mate in terms of requirements?
Reply 5
It's not that. The course started at 2017 and that's why there is no information. We are literally going to be the 2nd year applying and doing this course. What did they ask you mate in terms of requirements?

yea and i can't find anyone mentioning the course. a*aa including a in maths. i think they ask for the same grades for you too?
yea and i can't find anyone mentioning the course. a*aa including a in maths. i think they ask for the same grades for you too?

Exactly the same applies to me, and that's the only difference between UCL and KCL. UCL wants A* in maths. I am confident I can get the grades. They probably give out offers with the same requirements to everyone
Reply 7
Exactly the same applies to me, and that's the only difference between UCL and KCL. UCL wants A* in maths. I am confident I can get the grades. They probably give out offers with the same requirements to everyone

then i guess you are choosing ucl right? cuz the course at kcl is really new
then i guess you are choosing ucl right? cuz the course at kcl is really new

Really unsure. Still haven't decided, but I am still waiting for LSE anyway which I will be firming if I get an offer. I ask people about opinions etc about what's better and I will decide at literally the last minute
Reply 9
Hey.I am studying Economics BSc KCL and it is totally a ****. By no means you can study financial or management modules, such as Principles of Finance, Corporate Finance, Accounting and so on, these modules are not available to Economics students. Lot's of ********, you will gain all the knowledge that you would gain from this course just on the most rudimentary universities offering BSc Economics. Not worth your money, time, effort and grades.
Original post by isyankar
Hey.I am studying Economics BSc KCL and it is totally a ****. By no means you can study financial or management modules, such as Principles of Finance, Corporate Finance, Accounting and so on, these modules are not available to Economics students. Lot's of ********, you will gain all the knowledge that you would gain from this course just on the most rudimentary universities offering BSc Economics. Not worth your money, time, effort and grades.

Aside from the fact the thread is nearly 10 months old and the prior posters will have made their choices about which course to firm their offers for, and the fact both have been inactive for several months now, I would point out some people applying to an economics degree might actually be doing so with the intention of studying economics, rather than using it as a stepping stone to banking and finance.

In that frame, your point about students not being able to take modules from the management course is kind of irrelevant, since their Economics & Management degree has been around for quite a while (it was from this that the single honours course spun off from) and obviously it would be pointless to have done this if they were just going to have the students take all those same modules anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Aside from the fact the thread is nearly 10 months old and the prior posters will have made their choices about which course to firm their offers for, and the fact both have been inactive for several months now, I would point out some people applying to an economics degree might actually be doing so with the intention of studying economics, rather than using it as a stepping stone to banking and finance. In that frame, your point about students not being able to take modules from the management course is kind of irrelevant, since their Economics & Management degree has been around for quite a while (it was from this that the single honours course spun off from - obviously it would be pointless to have done this if they were just going to have the students take all those same modules anyway).

I would like to add that as a Bsc Economics (2nd year) student at a different uni, I haven't been given any option for principles of finance/coporate finance/accounting, and I wouldn't really expect to be given those options as they aren't exactly hugely relevant either. He is just angry I suppose for not doing his research on the module choices beforehand.
Economics cannot be understood to fullest without finance, as the Financial crisis of 2008 is great example of that. Most of students at KCL Economics do not know the reason for 2008 credit crunch, but in the advertisement of KCL it is said that students will gain understanding of how bad management affects the economy and so far, we have been taught nothing about that and I just today learned that in the third year we won't be able to select amy management modules.Additionally, I posted my reply so that students who wish to apply to KCL economics know that they would not be able to study any financial modules. And your reply shows that this page is not outdated and some people still read it.Thanks for your reply though
Look up LSE economics BSc course. Students are encouraged to take Financial modules. Also, if you do not understand the linkage of Economics and Finance, then simply you have not done enough research about what is economics. It has changed since Smith, Hayek and other classical economists. I suggest you to do some reading about Economics and Finance. Mishkin would be great starting point.

Latest

Trending

Trending